Frontend freezing on firefox with "Permission denied to access property" errors

The following message has shown up in my logs 16 times in the last few minutes as I try to fiddle around with settings. It seems that most click-paths lead to this error, and once I get it then the entire UI is frozen and I’m unable to interact with anything on screen until I refresh. It’s not completely consistent…sometimes I can get a few more clicks in before it freezes, sometimes a few less.

Logger: frontend.js.latest.202403070
Source: components/system_log/__init__.py:306
First occurred: 7:41:34 PM (16 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:57:46 PM

Uncaught error from Firefox 123.0 on Windows 10 TypeError: i is undefined siblingsToRestore (src/blocking-elements.ts:237:8) oldParents (src/blocking-elements.ts:216:34) element (src/blocking-elements.ts:147:24) push (mwc-dialog-base.ts:249:25) trapFocus (foundation.ts:166:21)
Uncaught error from Firefox 123.0 on Windows 10 Error: Permission denied to access property "localName" element (src/blocking-elements.ts:372:56) sibling (src/blocking-elements.ts:289:57) newParents (src/blocking-elements.ts:202:29) element (src/blocking-elements.ts:147:24) push (mwc-dialog-base.ts:249:25) trapFocus (foundation.ts:166:21)
Uncaught error from Firefox 123.0 on Windows 10 Error: Permission denied to access property "localName" element (src/blocking-elements.ts:372:56) sibling (src/blocking-elements.ts:289:57) newParents (src/blocking-elements.ts:202:29) element (src/blocking-elements.ts:147:24) push (mwc-dialog-base.ts:249:25) trapFocus (foundation.ts:166:21) setTimeout (foundation.ts:164:28) setTimeout (foundation.ts:370:28) requestAnimationFrame (foundation.ts:367:26) runNextAnimationFrame (foundation.ts:158:9)
Uncaught error from Firefox 123.0 on Windows 10 Error: Permission denied to access property "contains" canvas (src/platform/platform.dom.js:119:17) nodeListContains (src/platform/platform.dom.js:146:27)

Swapping over to a Chrome browser, the issue goes away. I did try clearing my cache for this page, and my Firefox browser is fully updated. I’m not exactly sure when this first started, although I know I’ve been having issues for at least a week like this. I only took the time to investigate today.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks folks!

Does it though?

Or does it just hide the error in the dev console / inspector?

Start by moving your custom cards out of the view and see if that fixes it.

1 Like

I will never claim to be certain, but comparing side by side I still haven’t had the chrome window freeze while my firefox tab has frozen maybe 5 times since I authored the above post (and then I refresh each time).

Per the custom cards, I’m seeing this issue when there are no custom cards visible, like if I go to look at the logs or my automations in the settings. Do I still need to remove custom cards or would that indicate they’re not the culprit?

Many thanks for the lightning quick reply!

Are you using card mod to automate icons, like make fan icons spin?

Yes I am. However, as I’m investigating I think I found another clue. Same issue isn’t occurring in a private firefox browser, so that suggests it’s something with my add-ins. Going to do a binary chop and see if I can nail the troublesome add-on.

If that doesn’t work I’ll return to disabling the custom cards per your suggestion. Will update either way, in case any other intrepid firefox fans stumble this way.

Nailed it down. The culprit: Proton Pass: Free Password Manager.

I’ll submit a bug to them, appreciate the help! We can close this one.

1 Like

Looks like Proton identified this as causing issues with a number of sites and has been fixed in 1.15.1

1 Like

I had somewhat similar issue 24 hours ago when my FF was still 123.0.
Opened this issue at Github UI crashed once a pop-up box appeared/triggers · Issue #20126 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

FF updated to 124.0 today and issue was gone away.

1 Like