Full Home Renovation - Help with Planning a Complete Smart Home Setup with Home Assistant and Apple HomeKit Integration

Hello everyone,

I’m currently in the process of fully renovating my house and would like to set it up with a comprehensive smart home system. My plan is to use Home Assistant as the central platform while also integrating with Apple HomeKit, since I prefer Apple devices.

I need your help and advice on the best components and how to proceed with implementing the various systems I want to have. Here are my requirements in detail:

1. Lighting

• I’ll have both 230V lights and 24V LED COB strips (preferably individually programmable).
    • In my current apartment, I’m using MiBoxer controllers for LED strips, which I control through Apple Home, integrated via Home Assistant and ZigBee. However, in my new setup, I also want to use physical switches to control the lights in addition to app-based control.
    • Important: The lights should still be controllable via the app (Apple Home/ Home Assistant) even if they are turned off by the physical switch.
    • I want to create scenes and be able to control the lights through both Apple Home and Home Assistant.
    • I’m considering Sonoff for switches, but it seems limited in terms of ZigBee or Wi-Fi switches, especially for roller blinds (more on this below). Any recommendations for lighting control components?
    • I also plan to install motion sensors (for example, in the stairwell) that will automatically turn on the lights when movement is detected. Any recommendations for motion sensors that work well with Home Assistant?

2. Roller Blinds/Shutters Control

• I want all blinds to be smart-controlled (time-based and smartphone-controlled). Unfortunately, Sonoff doesn’t offer a solution for blinds. What systems would you recommend for roller blinds control that are compatible with both Home Assistant and Apple HomeKit? ZigBee or Z-Wave are preferred, but I’m open to other suggestions.

3. Heating and Climate Control

• I want to control my heating and thermostats through Home Assistant. Which smart thermostats do you recommend? Have you had good experiences with Tado or other brands that work well with Home Assistant and Apple HomeKit?

4. Security and Surveillance

• Cameras: I’m considering the Eufy solar-powered cameras because they’re wireless and flexible. Does anyone have experience using Eufy cameras with Home Assistant? Is there a direct integration, or is it only possible through Apple HomeKit Secure Video?
    • Alarm system: Which alarm systems integrate well with Home Assistant and also provide Apple HomeKit compatibility?

5. Doorbell System

• I want to install a smart doorbell with a camera that works with both Home Assistant and Apple HomeKit. Which models would you recommend?

6. Garden and Outdoor Automation

• Irrigation: I’m planning to automate garden irrigation, ideally weather-dependent. Are there any smart valves or systems that integrate well with Home Assistant for this?
    • Outdoor lighting: I also want to install smart outdoor lighting (230V and LEDs), which can be controlled with scenes and automations.

7. Audio/Video Control

• All TVs should be controllable via Home Assistant. I’m considering both Apple TVs and Samsung TVs. Are there good integrations for controlling these devices?

8. Central Control

• I want to have a central hub in the house where I can control and monitor everything. I’m thinking of installing a fixed iPad or touchscreen to serve as a Home Assistant dashboard. Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? What hardware works best for a central control station?

9. Networking

• Since many devices will use Wi-Fi and ZigBee, I’m planning to set up a stable mesh network throughout the house. What routers or mesh systems do you recommend to ensure seamless communication between smart home devices?

Additional Questions:

•	Sonoff seems to be a good fit for many of my needs, but I’m missing components for roller blind control. Do you know of alternative manufacturers that offer similar budget-friendly and reliable ZigBee or Wi-Fi components?
•	Should I focus on ZigBee or Z-Wave? Or a mix of both?
•	Are there any devices or features that I haven’t thought of but should consider integrating into a fully smart home?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and tips! I’m looking forward to your recommendations and experiences.