Garage Door combine 2 binary_sensors and switch

I’ve got an ESP32 connected to my ‘dumb’ garage door opener, with reed switches on both fully-closed and fully-open positions. Plus a relay controlling the open/close switch. I’ve flashed with ESPHome, and have 3 entities (switch, closed, open). image

What i’d like to do is combine the 2 position sensors (binary_sensor) into a Garage Door entity, which shows position based on the state of those sensors (ie, if closed=true and open =false, “Closed”, or if closed=false and open=false, “Opening/Closing/Halfway”)
The reason i’m using the fully open sensor is so I can determine whether the door is fully closed, in transit/halfway or fully open.

I’ve tried a few other posts examples but I can’t seem to get it to work. Setting up a Cover template doesn’t work correctly either.

I have this in a covers.yaml split from the main config.yaml, can anyone offer some insight please?

- platform: template
  covers:
    garage_door:
      device_class: garage
      friendly_name: "Garage Door"
      position_template: "{{ states('binary_sensor.garage_door_closed') }}"
      open_cover:
        - condition: state
          entity_id: binary_sensor.garage_door_closed
          state: "on"
        - service: switch.turn_on
          target:
            entity_id: switch.garage_door_remote
      close_cover:
        - condition: state
          entity_id: binary_sensor.garage_door_closed
          state: "on"
        - service: switch.turn_on
          target:
      stop_cover:
        service: switch.turn_on
        target:
      icon_template: >-
        {% if states('binary_sensor.garage_door_closed')|float > 0 %}
          mdi:garage-open
        {% else %}
          mdi:garage
        {% endif %}

Thanks in advance.

haha i’ve just gone through all this and i did the same error as you. This does not go in a template helper, this goes into your configurations.yaml. I know im a bit late to helping you out but i just had the same issue as you and had time to TS… im no coder… im a heavy equipment mechanic so it took me a few hours