Garage Door Controller (Wemos Shield)

I designed a garage door control shield for the wemos D1 mini that can control one or two garage door openers and has sensors input for two doors. I am currently running GarHAge by @marthocoo on the Wemos and it is working great. The board also has a header for I2C so you can connect a temp sensor because we like data!

GCSfront

Instead of using a mechanical relay as others have done, I went with the MOSFET output optocoupler (aka a solid state relay) so I could achieve the shield layout. If your garage door can be controlled with a mechanical relay (ie the existing button simply shorts the two wires), this will work as well.

GCSback

Since I only have one garage door, I failed to fully test my circuit before sending version one of the PCB off to OSHPark. D0 on the Wemos goes high for about a quarter of a second on boot or reset. Since door 2 was wired to D0 it means the door will open/close when this happens, which is not a great feature. I have the redesigned boards and just need to order the parts so I can verify all is well. I took the opportunity to try out OSHPark’s After Dark service with version 2 which looks pretty cool.

GCS2

I have created a GitHub repository for the PCB (https://github.com/thevoltagesource/GarageControlShield) but it looks like I haven’t pushed all the commits up to it. I will get that updated soon. Hopefully this time next week I will have the new board built and tested, and repo updated. I can help if you want to build your own and a friend suggested I build a few and sell them. If there is interest I might do this.

I would love you hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Jacob

1 Like

Just take my money.

The board is assembled, tested and working great! The new design uses active low instead of active high to resolve the door two trigger on reboot. I haven’t hooked up a temp sensor to the I2C header yet and I just noticed that I have the SDA and SCL labels reversed. Doh! At least it will function if you know the secret. I guess that means there will need to be a v2.1.

I have updated the GitHub repository with the new design and added the BOM.

GCSprogress
Prototype,V1 and V2 (counter clockwise from top)

@nickrout do you have one or two garage doors to control?

Three. Yeah I know, greedy aren’t I?

Great idea. I’d take a dual one.