Garage Door Integration Issues

I installed a Shelly One on my garage door to integrate it into HA. It opens and closes the door great. But I’m having a few issues otherwise. And I’m hoping to get some advice as I’m beyond frustrated with trying to troubleshoot this myself.

1. when the door opens and closes, it takes about a minute or so for HA to find out about it. But yet if I watch it in the website for the Shelly device, it’s almost instant. What (if anything) can I do to reduce the delay?

2. I created a template Cover (definition pasted below) for the door and added it to my dashboard. The cover entry has an icon – that DOES update properly (although delayed per #1 above) and two arrows separated by a square (see the image below). One arrow is always grayed out. If I press the one that is NOT grayed out, the door operates and the arrows both toggle from disabled to enabled or vice versa. If I want to stop the door, I have to press the square, that changes which arrow is grayed out – then I can press the other arrow. See the short video (about 40 seconds) at the following link. How can I get it to just show me a single button? If I want to open or close the door or even just stop it in the middle of whichever direction it was going, I just need to trigger the momentary switch.

cover:
  - platform: template
    covers:
      garage_door:
        device_class: garage
        friendly_name: "Garage Door"
        value_template: "{{ states('sensor.garage_door') }}"
        open_cover:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: sensor.garage_door
            state: "closed"
          - service: switch.toggle
            target:
              entity_id: switch.garage_door
        close_cover:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: sensor.garage_door
            state: "open"
          - service: switch.toggle
            target:
        stop_cover:
          service: switch.toggle
          target:
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('cover.garage_door', 'opening') or is_state('cover.garage_door', 'closing') %}
            mdi:garage-alert
          {% elif is_state('cover.garage_door', 'open') %}
            mdi:garage-open
          {% else %}
            mdi:garage
          {% endif %}

HA Garage Door Cover

https://youtube.com/shorts/RB94jqORXW0?feature=share

1. I have a Node Red automation that is SUPPOSED to trigger when the door opens. But it will not trigger. I even went so far as to trigger EVERY time the sensor changed regardless of what it changed to or from. I have a debug wired in and it just doesn’t run.
  1. I’m using a Shelly 1 for my garage door as well, but I flashed it with ESPHome. Never had an issue and everything updates immediately. Might look into going that route if you don’t find a good solution?

2. My setup is exactly the same as yours and I remember looking into ways to change the way the cover displays to better match my setup. Unfortunately, at least if my memory serves me well, I don’t think you can change any of those things without using some kind of custom card.

3. Never used Node Red before, so can’t help directly, but haven’t had any issues running normal automations based on state changes for the garage door.

Is it difficult to flash it with ESP?

Pretty simple, although it does require physically connecting to it to flash the first time.

I think this is actually the guide I used when I set mine up:

Doesn’t look like it goes into the flashing process, but Google is your friend there. You’ll just need a serial to USB adapter so you can physically connect to the Shelly. If you don’t have one, they’re pretty inexpensive (and useful if you want to flash ESPHome on other commercial products).

Before I go that route, I’d like to see if there are any other opinions as to what this might be.