GarHAge - a Home-Automation-friendly ESP8266-based MQTT Garage Door Controller

Not experiencing this at my garage door opener. I have an old Craftsman opener and just wired to the connector screws on the unit. Make sure you didn’t cross the antenna wire with your power wires.

So here’s my wiring. To add to what I wrote previously, sometimes it seems the entire thing loses power. The wall button LED turns off and no longer works and I have to pull the cord to manually open the door. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? This is an Overhead Legacy 850 opener.

1 Like

Any update on the code for the DHT22 sensors being merged in?

I am just about to build this bad boy and was hoping to add the sensor.

I have an issue with home assistant not checking the status of the garage door before triggering the relay though google assistant. E,g, When the garage door is open, saying turn on or turn off the garage door results in the garage door being closed. Is there a way to check the status before closing or opening the door?

@Rumlak - use the dev branch, it has the DHT code built in. The README isn’t updated but it should be self-explanatory in config.h.

@Dinoaus - use the dev branch. It checks internally whether the door is open or not before sending an open command. If open and open command is received, a new status message is generated.

1 Like

@marthocoo Finally got around to trying to set this up. I am have a problem once I get the sketch uploaded into the NodeMCU. I get garbage characters in the serial monitor. ( see below) I am using the dev branch to add DHT support. Any Ideas?

U⸮UTB⸮⸮U⸮i⸮PԢ⸮P⸮P ⸮*⸮⸮⸮Z⸮T(K⸮⸮⸮VUTJB⸮⸮⸮⸮Zյ⸮ZU⸮UTB⸮⸮U⸮i⸮PԢ⸮P⸮P ⸮*⸮⸮⸮Z⸮T(K⸮⸮⸮VUTJB⸮⸮⸮⸮Zյ⸮Z

Thanks for the help

Change speed to 15200

@stocker Thanks for that! I can now see the message.

1 Like

Hello, I have been trying to use the GarHAge code and no matter what I do It will cycle the relay on power up. I have tried the active low and active high… IS it just my screwy relay board? I am not sure what else to try. Thanks

What is the best way to add 2 reed switches so that home assistant knows when the garage is opened or closed?

This seems to be a real good solution, problem is, I have zero experience with building anything electronic. I have a few questions if you don’t mind, and if someone is currently building one and would like to post a picture to give me a visual I would appreciate it.

So how hard is it to build this piece?
If possible, I would like to get my parts from a know US source (possibly Amazon) would they have all the parts?
Is there a similar relay on Amazon that I could use? I would like to trigger on HIGH for safety.
Which side of the relay is used for Garage Door 1
How long should the jumper wires be?
What pins should the DHT22 be connected to? And where can I find the DEV branch? Will this be released as a stable issue in the near future?
What size project box do I need?
I may have more questions later on, but thanks in advance to whomever is patient enough to reply.

Deleted. Solved

Do you mind sharing your code for the cover template? I have everything but a Reed switch and wanted to give this a try. If I can get it working with my tilt sensor then this wouldn’t cost me anything.

I posted a sample here that should work: https://github.com/marthoc/GarHAge/issues/27

Hi and thanks for this nice piece of programming.
I have a question. I have 1 garagedoor and i use 1 relay.
On the other relay i would like to connect a lamp that stays on for 2 minutes. So how do I change the time that the relay 2 is active?

Hey Mark great project!
Quick question though. I’ve had it running for over a year now and it’s flawless for me but now the MQTT topic payload_on AND payload_off are not supported any more and I keep getting an error message that states that. I’m using HA version 92.1.

I’ve tried changing the payload_on and _off to the recommended payload_available AND payload_not_available and I don’t get the error BUT I do not get status of “open” or
“closed”. Is there something in the code that I could change to be able to use the _available and _not_available and still get the state of open and closed?

Thanks again for your work on this project. I love using it and how easy it was to setup following your instructions!

Matt

Hi All,

I’m pretty new to both HA, MQTT and the ESP boards, but have worked with RPi’s and Arduino’s quite a bit. After searching for a diy garage opener project, I found this great project and decide to dive in.

So, I have built the ESP end using a D1 mini R2 board, and have HA running on an RPI2 with MQTT installed. The D1 appear to connect to both the wifi and MQTT server, but that’s as far as it gets.

In the overview, the cover widget appears but it says its unavailable, and I don’t see any messages being received in the MQTT server log.

Suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers
Jon

1 Like

Only one reed switch is needed because if it is not closed, its open. The correct logic is CLOSED or NOTCLOSED.

and also @MrIce if you don’t want to use MQTT, just flash the ESP with ESPHome and it will be available directly to Home Assistant. Details on getting things setup: https://khaz.me/cheap-and-easy-home-assistant-garage-door-control/