Garmin connect implementation in HASS

loaded app: on Fenix 3 HR
What does Status:-104 mean?

hi, is this project started ?

My Garmin watch tracks my sleep… would be cool to have the watch to set off some good night schemes…

Has any news with this sensor component? Hopefully see it.

hopefully this helps. Garmin Connect API is now open without a fee.

There’s no topic that I’ve had more heated conversations with Garmin about, than their lack of openness in their API. My almost non-stop various public comments are only a fraction of what they hear when I talk to them in person. Good news: Things are opening up. Mostly.

Coming up shortly any developer with at least a hint of a business idea can request Garmin Connect API access, and do so for free. Previously, that cost $5,000. This umbrella API (called Garmin Connect API V2.0) access gets you two things:

A) Synced workout data from an athlete (e.g. your rides/runs/etc in .FIT file…)
B) Synced health/etc data from an athlete (e.g. your steps/sleep/etc…)

Like before (and any other platform on the web), in both cases the user has to authorize your app to utilize that data. But once that’s done, the data gets flowing.

The way Garmin is handling this is relatively similar to what Suunto announced back at CES. They’ll be opening up a webform that you can make your API application to, and then you put a bit of information behind what you’re looking to do. After which, they’ll approve you and you’ll get your account all setup. They noted that they’re not quite to the point of saying this is purely for any hobbyists akin to Strava, but as long as you can show they have a public privacy policy in place, they’ll likely grant you access. Again, roughly akin to Suunto.

It may take a little bit of time for this to be a smoothly oiled machine, as Garmin says they’re aiming for all the kinks to be worked out and launched by the end of Q2 2019 (so, about two months away). Things like ensuring all the right processes in place, agreements, etc…

Either way – them opening this up is a huge step, looking forward to seeing what you folks to do with the apps that come out of this.

1 Like

I hope dev is still happening. Would love this as a sensor.

1 Like

can automation fulfill all the requirement here ? https://developer.garmin.com/health-api/questions-and-answers/

This would be awesome. My wife and I both have Garmins and it would be nice to get them both onto our HA dashboards.

+1 for this too, would love to see a Garmin Connect component in HASS. Looks like the API is available, but I just don’t have the necessary skills to create this

I found this:

Looks quite good as a starting point.

has anyone got this working in home assistant ?

I managed to create something that works:

Uploaded my custom component to GItHub:

To be fair. This integration is only good if your device is syncing all the time.
I wear a garmin 935 but only sync it a few times a week. This means that most of the time there is no data synced with HASS and the sensors show as null/noone/empty.

4 Likes

Thank you for this. There seem to be quite a little attributes about activities. Do you know what this “includesActivityData” includes? Does it have the actual information of workouts?

I followed your steps for using the component. Checked the yaml if it was alright, tried to restart HA and now I can’t even log in on it. Any ideas? Running latest version of HA

I Can log in again. I will try again tomorrow the component.

I just want the calorie information that is stored in garmin connect, its all available but showing as none in home assistant is this correct ? no way we can get this to show the current value regardless of sync frequency ?

@Icescream got it working! thx.
1 question tough…is it possible to add several accounts?

1 Like

The official Garmin Connect integration is now live in 0.105.0b0 (Beta channel: Hassio - System - Join beta)
See: https://rc.home-assistant.io/integrations/garmin_connect/

It’s working like a charm, feel free to ask for help with setup. And thanks to the developer and HA community for making the integration possible (I have followed the work on Github and is blown away :heart_eyes:)

2 Likes

“Garmin Connect to your installation, go to Configuration >> Integrations”
i can’t seem to find it

Do you Have the beta version of home assistant installed? Because the official one is still 0.140.x so it will be available for the non beta users when the 0.150 official version released

Yes I have :pray: and correct you can opt in to the beta now, or wait for 105 to be released in a couple of weeks :blush:

PS the beta Channel is very stable imo