GE 14294 (and Jasco equivilant) ZWave dimmer double tap (Event on Associaton Group 3) - need config help

That is bummer. Just read through the whole thread, I wonder if homeseer works. I really only use 1 of these GE switches for double tap.

I am concerned how well other scene controller switches work with ozw given that another user in that thread you linked mentioned a scene controller that is not sending a notification or event, can’t remember what they call it, after the first time it is turned on. Even after the scene ids have been added using another zwave controller software.

My Homeseer and zooz switches work, but not my GE ones.

If you stick with modern scene controllers that implement Central Scene, those are supported much better in 1.6 compared to 1.4. No editing of config files any longer. The device mentioned in that thread is very old and is using Basic values as a workaround to some quirky behavior.

I still have some hope that the issue will be resolved there in some way, even if it means using MQTT directly.

Zooz and Homeseer use Central Scene, so no problem. The GEs use Group Assocations and the Basic Set command, which might be unique to the Jasco line of switches. My guess is the intent behind the design was not for scene events, instead to control other devices directly.

Some of the most recent GE switches do support Central Scene.

Yea i just noticed that. Seems some new GE switches like the GE 46201 does support Central Scene

This worked for me with GE (Jasco) dimmers and opens up all kinds of new ideas for my home automation.

efirestone Step 1 is key (I never would have figured this part out on my own)

Then made a new Automation that triggers a scene that turns off all the lights in the living room that are normally controlled by three different switches:

Trigger:

event_data:
  basic_level: 0
  node_id: 19
event_type: zwave.node_event
platform: event

node_id is the z-wave node id that can be seen in the z-wave logs

Double tap down and all the lights go off. It’s awesome!

This gives me so many ideas with these switches.

Thanks!

Look into the Inovelli red series switches. They do multi tap events and have indicator lights that support all kinds of notifications. Work out of the box on the OZW beta, but need a little configuration with classic Z wave.

Here are instructions for how to enable this in the new open-zwave integration/qt-openzwave.

I have this successfully and reliably working. See instructions above.

This is great. How does one locate and edit the XML files if you installed the OZW beta add-on directly in HA?

I’m running in Docker and have never used supervised, so unfortunately I can’t help with that part.

I ran across this in another thread. Apparently there is talk of moving them to a more accessible file.

you can modify the config of the add-on by sshing into HA using the add-on then run docker ps -a to find the docker ID of the supervisor container: homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor

then shell into it by: docker exec -it b41dbe957fa4 /bin/bash

Replace b41dbe957fa4 with your container ID.

the config can then be found here: /data/addons/data/core_zwave/ozw/

Please be aware that the devs dont want us doing this and also i was not able to get a custom XML to work at all. no matter what I did it crashed the daemon when i did refresh node or included the device and continued to crash the add-on every time it starts until I removed the custom XML. I believe this is a bug with the add-on but YMMV.

Thank you so much. This got me going in the right direction. I also had to figure out how to get out of HA and SSH into the actual host. Instructions for how to do this can be found here:

After doing that, I got into the OZW docker container and updated the XML files per your instructions. I’m now seeing MQTT messages for Double Taps on my GE 14294 dimmers! Thanks again.

This seems to me the simplest of questions… afraid to even ask. In case the image does not load… A brief explenation.

Using HA ZwaveJS2MQTT utility. Programmed a kitchen switch to touble tap on/off 4 other lights by assignment those devices to group 3. And that works. The actual light for the switch, still does its own thing. In other words, when I double tap the switch, 4 devices respond accordingly, but the light attached to the switch I am using does not respond the way the group3 entities do. This is the same switch I am configuring to include other switches in Group3.

What do I have to do to have THIS switch ALSO included in the group 3 switches for double-tap to work?

I am configuring at the switch level. Not in HA, and not through the use of scenes (either at the switch or within HA). I would like for double tap to work independent of any HA setup, for now.

I’m not sure it can self-reference in the group. Usually this is accomplished by tapping the switch an extra time. :wink: I gave up on switch groups very quickly due to their many limitations. Much better results using HA to group devices and control behaviours. Gives you the option to have time of use differences etc. (For example, in the middle of the night you might only want a couple from the group to activate, or activate to a predetermined dimmer level etc.)

Not in that phase yet. I read somehwere that in order to get double tap to begin with I had to add the switches to group 3. I will get back to HA development, but figured why not use the native groups for now. It’s useful enough to be able able to switch 5 lights. The lack of self-inclusion though… sort baffling. I have grouped a few other switches using groups. Same result of course.

The end UX I am looking for can really only be done in HA. Including, as you reference, scenarios such as time of day, or event driven scenarios.

I think your answer is, to my dismay, my finding. And that is just how it is when trying to configure at the switch. very limiting.

Thanks for weighing in.

I’ve seen multiple posts in various forums asking about double-tap events on older Jasco Z-Wave devices. I’m migrating from SmartThings. I had the double-tap working there, so I knew it was possible. The latest and greatest devices support both double- and triple-tap via Central Scene and the triggers are already there in HA. The earlier devices used Association Group 3. You can directly associate with another Z-Wave device (assuming compatible security) or you can include the Z-Wave hub and then trigger off the events. I’ve seen hacks where people try to simulate multiple clicks. It’s unreliable and whatever is connected to the device will necessarily get turned on/off in the process. The multi-taps I’m talking about are implemented within the device firmware and will not affect the load (as long as you practice your timing).

I read some posts about modifying the existing low-level Z-Wave driver configuration files. I really didn’t want to go that route and I couldn’t find the files anyway. The Store in my Z-Wave JS has a spinning blue circle thing that never stops.

Our guinea pig will be a Jasco 14318-3 (ZW4005) switch. You need to find your device in Z-Wave JS. Use the up/down thing to expand the settings then click on GROUPS. You want to ADD to Group 3 and choose the Hub as the Target Node. That’s it for configuration.

Now, triggering is a little messy, but you can just copy/paste below. I have 2 switches in a bathroom. One switch is a motion dimmer for the vanity. The second switch is a 14318 which controls the exhaust fan. There’s an additional light above the shower. I connected that location to constant power and use a Sonoff inline. The following automations control the Sonoff which is running ESPHome. You’ll need to substitute the device_id and entity_id values from your own devices. You can get those values by creating a dummy automation which tickles the same devices.

alias: Shower On
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: 60b9d714d3c4225ad03b5f213b4848c1
    domain: zwave_js
    type: zwave_js.value_updated.value
    command_class: 32
    property: currentValue
    to: 255
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: cd74fa8a877e6e55b10e71799c49eefc
    entity_id: f64e5665145c826e5ccf9e9a0292c12d
    domain: switch
mode: single

alias: Shower Off
trigger:
    to: 0
action:
  - type: turn_off

I experimented with a single automation for both, but I couldn’t figure out the correct property/attribute names. Everything I tried generated an error either in the editor or at runtime. Realistly, if you’re controlling a single device all you really need is a toggle. You could use something like:

alias: Shower Toggle
trigger:
action:
  - type: toggle

I know this is a really old thread, but it’s probably well-indexed. :slight_smile:

I would recommend submitting an issue to node-zwave-js to add native double-tap support to this device. Doing this in the driver would enable the following for everyone that uses Z-Wave JS and this device:

1. auto-associate group 3 to the controller
  2. enable basic set events

The first point means no manual association is needed, as HA does not support associations.

The second point means you can use either 1) the newer event entities, 2) z-wave integration scene events, or 3) a blueprint for automation triggers, instead of using the low level device value_updated device trigger.

1 Like

Let’s be realistic. It’s been 6+ years since the initial post and nothing has changed. It’s a well-known issue. Other ecosystems already have the solution in place. The above approach requires some effort, but the logic is sound. It’s not a hack.

HA wasn’t using Z-Wave JS six years ago, and Z-Wave JS has active maintenance. All of these comments before May 21 are referring to OpenZWave.

There are already over 50 Jasco/GE/Honeywell devices configured to automatically support this functionality in Z-Wave JS, so I don’t get your comment. If you take the time to submit a report, it will get added.

https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Azwave-js%2Fnode-zwave-js+treatBasicSetAsEvent+language%3AJSON&type=code

https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Azwave-js%2Fnode-zwave-js+"isLifeline"%3A+true+"Double+tap"+language%3AJSON&type=code&l=JSON

2 Likes