GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Portable Smart Motion Sensor

Hello,

I should start by stating I am new to Home Assistant and I have it installed on a Raspberry Pi using the Home Assistant OS installation method.

I have added the “GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Portable Smart Motion Sensor” to my Hame Assistant and it shows up as " Jasco Products ZW6302 Portable Smart Motion Sensor". My Z Wave Hub is the “GoControl CECOMINOD016164 HUSBZB-1 USB Hub”.

When I try to create an automation triggered by motion, my only options are

1. Jasco Products ZW6302 Portable Smart Motion Sensor Battery Level battery level changes
  2. Jasco Products ZW6302 Portable Smart Motion Sensor Sensor turned on
  3. Jasco Products ZW6302 Portable Smart Motion Sensor Sensor turned off

Selecting 2 or 3 do not result in any trigger event being generated. The motion sensor flashes red to indicate it detects motion but the trigger event is not generated and automation does not run. I have tried adding as secure and non-secure with no difference.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

David

I figured this out and I am detailing my solution to help anyone else in the same situation.

Apparently it’s a common problem that door and motion sensors produce a non-existent binary sensor and so the “Jasco Products ZW6302 Portable Smart Motion Sensor” that I can see cannot be used as a trigger.

When I go into Z wave configuration (under integrations), reviewing the OZW log shows the motion sensor is triggering events as shown below.

No Motion Detected
Received Alarm report: type=0, level=0, sensorSrcID=0, type:Burglar event:0, status=255

Motion Detected
Received Alarm report: type=0, level=0, sensorSrcID=0, type:Burglar event:8, status=255

Reference - https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/entities#burglar-entity

And when i looked under Developer Tools -> States, I found “sensor.jasco_products_zw6302_portable_smart_motion_sensor_burglar”. This is the burglar notification sensor created by the motion sensor. It is set to 8 for motion and 0 for no motion and on the Developer Tools -> States page I can watch the state change as motion occurs.

This allows me to create an automation with a trigger from a state as shown below.

Trigger

The automation triggers when there has been no motion detected for one hour - it works perfectly.

My next step is to make this an “on/off” sensor and this will be created as a binary_sensor template.

David

4 Likes