GE Smart Air Conditioner

Anyone know how to hookup a GE Smart AC window unit? It uses GE Wifi Connect and in theory will work with google (though I haven’t tried that) and I would rather have local control anyway. One interesting thing is I could connect to it with my mac laptop directly, no password, etc. I saw it in the wifi menu as an ‘accessory’ and I clicked on that and it set it up. I had to reset the unit though because I had not yet managed to get it hooked up to the official app. Any info would be great, thanks!

Have you gotten any answers to this on other places? I have a GE Smart Window Air Conditioner that I’ll be putting back in my window in the coming months and wanted to have it integrated with Home Assistant.

I did a bit of digging and couldn’t find any info on an api. I have a washer that uses a wifi connect module as well. When it works, it’s great, but the app is flaky. I’d love a direct integration with HA. I’ve even considered cracking the module open and doing some snooping, but I don’t have a logic analyzer or anything like that yet. The “inputs” from the washer are ground, 5v, 12v, and something labeled GEA. I have a spare wifi connect module I’d consider donating to the cause if someone thought they could reverse engineer it.

I have some pics of the internals of the module:

Has anyone tried to snoop on the network traffic? Maybe it is poorly implemented and doesn’t use https and we can then reverse engineer out the api?

Other thoughts are it can connect to If this then that, homekit, etc so it could be controlled that way in theory. But need internet for that stuff. :frowning:

I’ve never really used wireshark before, but I’m willing to give it a shot. Will report back in a few days.

No luck on my end so far, likely based on my poor knowledge of using Wireshark.

I just picked up one of those GE Smart window ACs. I was able to access and control it locally from Home Assistant using the HomeKit Controller integration. This assumes your AC unit has a HomeKit setup code on its sticker along with the network name and password. It will be in the form 123-45-678. The AC’s HomeKit support is why you saw it as an accessory on your Mac.

Resurrecting an old thread, but it helped me today…
With Summer back, I wanted to confirm that these will connect with HomeKit Controller after you connect it to your home network via the app (as long as it has the setup code as Ken mentioned). I then blocked access outside the network and it continued to respond.
Note: The app, at least on Android, was absurdly slow but is only needed to connect it to your home network.
Stay cool folks!

Just got my HA installation up and running, and I was able to add my GE AC via the HomeKit support as noted, but I don’t have the same control of it that I have with other systems. Via Google, I was able to turn it on/off, as well as change between eco mode/fan only mode/and cool mode. This ONLY let’s me go from off to eco mode (even though it says cool, not eco, in the integration). Does anyone have any clue how I could fix this?

AC im using is the AHY08LZ (I really don’t reccomend this unit, for anyone considering it, it has a bunch of other awful quirks).

i have a wifi usb for my air conditioner.
i add them with smarthq app, but i didn’t see in HA, how can i do that?

usb wifi have a wifi and pass, but when i add it into smarthq, wifi disappear because air conditioner is configured in app. but in HA i can’t see it.

I just wanted to let you all know that A/C support is now available in the gehome custom component (GitHub - simbaja/ha_gehome: GE Home Appliances (SmartHQ) for Home Assistant), you may want to use one of the 0.5.x pre-releases to fix a couple issues that have been found recently, but hopefully this helps.

1 Like

Nice. Any chance this will make it on to the integrations page with in HA? I’m not big on installing custom components.

Probably not anytime soon. However, it is compatible with HACS, so you can install it that way as well. It’s not a default there yet either, but more likely to be added as a default there before it would be added into HA itself.