GE Z-Wave Dimmers Broken

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f739907a170>

GE wall dimmers are not my favorite at the moment. I’ve got a batch of innoveli’s coming in, interested to see if they work any better. As for the no-dimming, are they dimming on the hardware themselves? If not, that has nothing to do with home assistant.

GE is solid with all my other devices, just never had the dimmers working great. Prior to HA .105 though, I had them working pretty well with the delay, polling, and refresh. Might try to go back to a version prior to see If i still have the issue there.

The slider is wroking and dimming in HA, but the devices don’t dim. If turn the light off and on then it turns on at the dimmed setting I have it on in HA.

So the devices work on your hardware though. I phrased that poorly. The dimmers work when you physically adjust them at the light switch, correct?

EDIT: I just tested one of mine and they work via HA and the physical light switch.

That is the way lights are intended to work… when you turn one ‘on’, it will go to the last brightness setting. If you want a button to turn them to 255, you can do that with an input boolean and an automation. There are probably better ways but that is off the top of my head.

Think you missed this bit, which is odd:

Correct, no issues using the physical switch.

Did you adjust any settings in the zwave configuration, or are they ‘out of the box’? It just seems odd that you have different behavior

Only changed the name of the zwave device and switch name device. I also added a light entity from the switch, which I also did with my other switch lights.

I tried HA .104.3 and the same issue. I did lose power a couple days ago (right about when I also upgraded to .105 and maybe the power outage is messing with my dimmer switches? I’ll try removing and reading them tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

I’ve had 3/30 jasco devices die. Part of the reason why I’m making the switch. Seems like the old units had a shelf life of 3 years. Power outages killed 2 of the 3.

Let us know how you like the Innoveli’s. GE switches also are the bulk of my inventory as well.

Yah, They should arrive today. I’m pretty sure the zwave setup for home assistant is way more involved. These devices require v1.6 of OZW and HA is on 1.4. So you have to do some config shuffling. I have a breakdown of what’s expected. I’ll update the post on how ‘hard it is’. I’m really interested in how the dimmer behaves in the UI. I do not like the GE interaction at all. The look is also wildly different. It has this LED that (I think) displays the current brightness level. Either way, I’m excited for it. Also, my order came with 2 free RGB light bulbs… so that was a bonus.

1 Like

No go, got the same issue. Wish I could figure out if it really was the .105 update or my power outage. Everything was working out perfect with these dimmers for the most part until then :frowning:

When dimming the physical switches they actually update in HA, but not the other way around; it’s like HA can’t control the dimming only.

@nmajin did you end up fixing this? I have the same issue, can’t dim GE from HA.

I ended up ordering the new 2nd gen ones: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-SimpleWire-SmartThings-46201/dp/B07RRBT6W5/

What’s odd is that I did actually turn the power off one more time prior to getting the new 2nd gen ones and one of the dimmers started working again via home assistant, so I am thinking it could be an issue with the switches with power outages, might be worth toggling the breaker.

Thanks I’ll give it a try tomorrow morning. It’d be great if it fixes it as my dimmers are both recently bought.

Unfortunately it’s still working unreliably. That’s a bummer! If anyone ever found a solution or have ideas on how to fix it, I’d be glad to know. Thanks!

I always had trouble with mine Jasco/Ge 26933 motion/dimmer

My 12724 3-Way Dimmer Switch works fine with these settings:

light.master_bedroom_l_level:
  ignored: false
  refresh_value: true
  delay: 5
  polling_intensity: 0

Also I recall setting the step to 99 and the rate to 1 for Zwave Commands and ALL ON/OFF

@firstof9 Where do you set the step value and rate?

In the zwave config parameters for the node.