Gemstone Lights

Has anyone looked at integrating Gemstone Lights https://www.gemstonelights.com/ into Hassio, or if it would even be possible?

Any luck with this?

It appears that Gemstone lights use Tuya. If you check here Tuya Process Paul explains that an email needs to be sent to Tuya. I did today, but would appreciate anyone else with Gemstone Lights do the same.

Just curious… how did you find out it uses Tuya?

I had to reinstall the system and my Eero network showed a new Tuya device had joined the network

Hi James, Sorry, I am new to Tuya, i was able to add other lights to Tuya, but I don’t see how to add the Gemstone. Did you do it in the Tuya app first?

Thanks!

You cannot add Gemstone lights. We are trying to figure out how to do it, and in the exploration we discovered they are Tuya. The suggestion above is to send an email to Tuya asking that Gemstone be added to the app

Thanks, will do!

Has anyone figured out a way to get gemstone lighting into home assistant? Getting mine installed tomorrow.

Nope, nothing from myside.
I did install a smart plug so that I can at least turn them off and on. The Gemstone has a design flaw, the power supply fan runs often even with them turned off. Also, they app doesn’t have a lot function around turning on say 15 minute before sunset. So that is why I use a smart plug to turn them on and off.

You could connect them to HA via Google home integration. But that probably only gives you On/Off ability. Assuming Gemstone advances themes into Google home, those would show up. I see this as the best approach cause while the use the Tuya platform, it’s a highly customized version of it.

So got these installed a few days ago and did the Google Home integration with custom routines. Was not happy with the solution as you could not see the current/on off state and just adds another layer of cloud ugliness.

After more “digging in” I was able to hook everything up local via local tuya. The big hurdle everyone will hit is getting the local_key of the device(s). Once you have that then you can hook in same integration level the google home/alexa has (on/off, brightness, white temp, color). Maybe if people flood gemstone support to list the local_key in the app (already lists device id) it will be easy for everyone.

Regardless all up working amazing for me with a mushroom card and no longer need cloud connection!
Capture

Second pic since I am a new user.

how did you find your local_key? where do I start to look for that?

Would need a pretty in-depth knowledge of android studio and decompiling/debugging code/apks

I would suggest if you dont know about such things to contact gemstone and see if they can give it to you or again just having them make it visible in the device settings page like they do device id.

also if you do find you local key and get localtuya up here is the mapping you’ll need for setting it up as a light

Thanks, that is a little above me. I will try contacting them.
Cheers

Sadly I have no way to pm you to potentially help get you on track!

I was able to get the controller added to Tuya Smart app. What I did was from the Gemstone Hub app was go to settings and factory reset the device. Then I waited a few moments to let the device do it’s reboot or whatever and then I opened the Tuya Smart app and got a pop up from the app that it found GM Controller. As you can see, not much for options within HA this way though. Plus the options in the Tuya Smart app are pretty limited compared to the Gemstone app.

So your next thought is, well I will just my controller back to the Gemstone app… but sadly that just removes it from Tuya Smart and HA. Then you have to factory reset again, and add the controller back to Tuya Smart.

Is there a way for the best of both worlds? Sadly after adding the Gemstone lights into tuya local, once I added the lights back to the gemstone app it removes them from tuya smart like before and removes the access through tuya local. So I guess take your pick, Setup through Tuya Smart and use HA or setup through Gemstone app and buy a smart plug to turn it off and on through HA.

I did email Gemstone Lights support about local_key and support for Home Assistant and they replied with the following.

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Gemstone Lights.

Unfortunately, we do not supply the local_key information in the app.
The developers are looking to expand the home assistants in the future,
but no timeline at this moment unfortunately.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.