Gen 2 Nest thermostat to control switch to ceiling fan when set point met?

I have a Gen 2 Nest thermostat that controls my A/C and furnace.

i also have dumb (no remote) Hunter ceiling fans on a standard dumb wall switch in my living room and 3 bedrooms.

I would like the ceiling fans to come on ONLY when the Nest thermostat is actively calling for heat/cooling, so a smart wifi controlled wall switch I could install (and leave on) would do the trick.

Is there any compatible smart wall/light switches known that will do this?

The only ones I can find that are compatible with Nest thermostats (like Levitron) only turn on switches via voice command or in “Away”, I want a switch that triggers when the themostat calls for cooling/heating and turns off once set point is met. All suggestions welcome!

any smart switch that can be controlled by HA can do what you want.

Nest is connected to HA and reports heating, cooling, and idle
switch is connected to HA and HA can turn it OFF/ON
create an automation that when heating or cooling turn switch ON. when idle turn switch OFF

First thing if you want speed control do NOT ever use a ‘dimmer’ on a fan. They are inductive motor loads and can cause overheat issues on traditional dimmers.

Instead with your ‘dumb’ fans you can control them with 'fan controllers. Im in the states so i use Northamerica 110v/15a gear. You said a Hunter fan so im guessing you’re in Northamerica too.

Ge Jasco has had the workhorse in this category in thier ZWave fan controller for years (i personality own four of the older ones and one of thier newer Enbrighten ones) they work great. Innovelli makes a ZWave one that fits in the fan housing and will control both lights and fan from one single line. Leviton also has one that supports four discreet speeds - also ZWave.

I haven’t seen what’s available for wifi and Zigbee recently.

If speed control is not an issue - any SWITCH (again, true on/off and not a dimmer pretending to be a switch or instead solid state with a statement form the manufacturer saying they support inductive loads.)

Did I mention no dimmers?

Once you have the switch or speed control its a pretty minor automation to flip on a fan when the HVAC starts.

Do you have a specific model of switch to suggest?

I was looking at this one:

I live in Arizona.
I would like the home assistant to power on the fan only when setpoint is calling. I dont dont need speed control, and I will set manual direction control (up/down) seasonally.

I was looking at this one: UltraPro WiFi In-Wall Smart Toggle Switch With QuickFit™ And SimpleWire™, White

Would this work?

Should do just fine.

That unit will work
I use the jasco zwave switches

Fan switch may provide unexpected benefit but it is not required. Do Not get dimmer switch

Followup.

I got the Jasco UltraPro toggle switch installed today. Its a mixed bag. The switch will turn on my ceiling fan via Google Home when my Nest Gen 2 thermostat calls for heat consistently, but it will not turn it off when my thermostat stops the call for heat. I had to use the UltraPro app for the switch to turn off based on time (I chose 20 minutes).

You turn off and on with call for heat

Just add delay to automation before turn OFF. You shouldn’t need to use anything outside of HA assuming you can turn off/on with HA

1 Like

I have tried it within HA only, and the “Off” command (the only other command available) never works.

Is there a way to attach screen shots to this thread?

I am convinced I am doing something wrong in programming this routine in HA, and am hoping one of the local experts can spot my mistakes if they can see the screen shots. Now the routine only starts the UltraPro ceiling fan switch once after programming. I am frustrated.

Does HA show both off and on state?

No.

The “starter” for the Gen 2 Nest thermostats in HA shows
Conditions are “anytime”.

When mode changes to:

-Off

-Eco

–Cool

-Heat

-Heat-Cool

I choose “Heat” for the starter option.

The “action” options for the toggle switch (ceiling fan) are only:

-On

-Off

I choose On of course.

Now the routine only runs once (???) It will run again if I delete and recreate the routine, but only once.

I had created a separate routine to turn the toggle switch Off, using Nest thermostat “Off” option, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Starter = HA trigger? What this mean.

Routine = HA Automation?

Im a little confused by terms you using so sorry if ask same silly questions. I want to make sure uiu ate not talking about google home’s controls or something else.

Im expecting you should be able to turn the fan OFF and ON using HA, is this correct?

It sound like you cannot see all states of Nest thermostat. Is this correct?

Can you post the HA automation you created

Good Lordy, I just realized I am on the completely wrong forum.

Lol!

I am usuing Google Home and was confusing this with Google Home/Google Assistant, not Home Assistant.

Sorry to waste your time!

And boom goes the dynamite😂