Generic Cam with services

Is it possible to set a stream with a Generic Cam still_image_url integration?

I mean, I want to use the motion_detection service with an still image HA stream, but I’m not sure if this is possible.

If I were you I would ditch that shitty Home Assistant Generic Cam integration and install ZoneMinder and then integrate Zone Minder with Home Assistant.

That integration was very poorly coded just to have something working but not something useful. Most people here use MotionEye or ZoneMinder to render the Cam output. That motion shit is just for cams that have it by default and not all cams, just a couple of them.Trust me, it is very shitty, forget about it.

@SirLouen also try ONVIF - if your camera supports it. ONVIF sets up all those kinds of sensors directly.

@Automotive the generic camera integration is in use by a lot of users (approx 4x motioneye + zoneminder).

While I don’t think it’s a good first choice I have been working on improving it. Please file some bugs or PRs if you have specifics of what could be improved.

@dave_t_uk my cam is an omegashit battery cam that I’ve been able to find a slight hack to get a still image…

Anyway I’m not going to go the path of ZoneMinder as @Automotive say, because I feel it’s TOO much of a hassle. I like the software and I did a great implementation in one client of mine some time ago, but still it’s too much for what I need. I’ve been testing Frigate lately, which is really remarkable for how lightweight it is and what it pretends to achieve.

motion_detection service is just a mechanism to interact with certain cams with such service integrated, definitely, not my cam. Is not a motion_detection mechanism by itself (I was in doubt because integrating motion detection generally is not as easy as it seems, and having a good algo is only reserved to certain amount of software enough specialized to do that or certain cams that integrate it)

Nowadays I’m using an Amcrest new cam I purchased and Frigate integrating with HA for alarms on motion detection and all that. And still willing to integrate my shitty still image battery cam somehow (probably I will install a Simple RTSP server and serve from there the still image stream to Frigate also but it’s kind of funny that I need the cam + a server to use that shit cam, probably cheaper to ditch it and buy another Amcrest to replace that).

The only good thing that battery cam has is that it can serve an image via their own propietary software and don’t need any cabling, because it goes via Wifi + Battery charged with a little solar panel. But software feels really clunky + doesn’t give me any sense of privacy and by any means will ever be integrated with anything near to HA.

At best, a portable cam to monitor the dog when I leave.