Generic HAOS Installation completes, but cannot open HA via browser or HA app

I think I’ve successfully installed HAOS v 12.4 on a Beelink Mini S by flashing directly on the NVRam of the Beelink. The CLI is available, and shows me the IP. In my router, I can see that the router has recognized “homeassistant” at the same IP as the CLI declares. However I can’t simply browse to [ip]:8123 or to homeassistant.local:8123. All attempts end with a:“can’t establish a connection to the server at homeassistant.local:8123.”
My router seems to be operating correctly otherwise, and a the HA Green device I purchased earlier worked just fine in this configuration.
Any thoughts or ideas?

What happens if you ping the HA ip from your client computer?

"Cannot resolve [ip]: unknown host

This is what I see in my router:

That looks like a dhcp reservation or lease /can’t tell which BUT I don’t know if that MAC address belongs to that box. What it tells me is it knows about a box NAMED homeassistant with that Mac address should have the IP address .27 but that doesn’t tell me. It’s THAT BOX.

In fact the ping by IP (which bypasses DNS and is raw IP) tells us your client can’t see any box on your network with the IP address 27.

Did you manually assign the new IP address? The old? How do they get ip addresses? You said something about a green? Did it used to have that IP?

Also if you ping homeassistant it should tell you what ip it’s going to try to ping (i bet 27) which we know your client can’t reach.

Great questions!
The mac address is for that device (from the device BIOS), and ping to .27 or to homeassistant.local now resolve to that IP.
The IP was assigned by the router DHCP. Its in the router IP reservation table.

The 2 possibilities I can imagine are either the HTTP server is fubar, or there is something going on in the router that is blocking.
But in the access control list that IP is Allowed.
In the router’s SECURITY section, the block sites, block services sections are empty. Not not sure what else I might look into there.

Now that it resolves - what happens when you browse to http://[ip] :8123 from a browser that can ping [ip]?

“Unable to connect” …
Is it possible that the web server is not starting for some reason? Is there a way to look for that? Or is there some way that I could confirm that the http server is actually running? I do have access to the CLI.

OK - In looking at the actual text of the boot process, a whole bunch of stuff scrolls by, and then clears and 2 lines later it says: “HAOS not found”
and then theres a # prompt. This appears to be a version of PuppyLinux, NOT HAOS. So, no, the web server is not running. The whole stinkin’ HAOS is not running. This was a disk write of “https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/12.4/haos_generic-x86-64-12.4.img.xz” which is supposed to be able to be written to the disk, overwriting everything there, with a fresh & fully functional copy of HAOS & HA.

So I re-did the HAOS installation process.
Now it actually comes up in the HAOS CLI.
And i can ping it, but it still comes up as unable to find…
Oh - whoops. Maybee I didn’t wait long enough. I finished the installation about 20 minutes ago. and immediatly looked into the CLI. When that was good, I just figured that the web server would be serving up stuff, but I guess not.
So now, 20 minutes later, I try again and the onboarding starts as it should.

Thank you for your continued interest and relevant suggestions. I now hope that there won’t be some new fresh hell.

r

1 Like