Generic Linux Install - configurator/addons

I have a home-assitant install on an ubutnu vm. It’s working fine.

I followed instructions that are very similar to : Home Assistant Fresh on Ubuntu 16.04 server

All good.

Now I’mm looking at third party addons and some of the other documentation and it’s very hassio based. Things like the configurator, and menus that don’t seem to be available in the generic linux install.

How can I get these, are they are set of components that can be added to the generic install to make some of this available?

Yes, they just need added to your config. Do you have an example of what you are trying to add?

Addons are only for hassio. If you want to run hassio on your Ubuntu machine, you should install it using Installation - Home Assistant instead.

I think this is an addon: https://github.com/nerdfirefighter/HA_Homie
Sorry, I’m new to HASS, and have been on OpenHAB for a while, so at the moment just investigating HASS as an alternative (I like the idea of python based addons).

@NotoriousBDG - sorry, as above, I’ve very new, and don’t get the link fully between home assistant and a python environment (I’m running in a virtualenv) and hassio.

HomeAssistant is a python program. Python programs are best run in a virtual environment, which defines a specific version of Python and dependent modules.

This was hard for non-techinical people to install, so hassio was created. This packages HomeAssistant in a docker like environment that takes over your Pi. The only way to add new programs to your Pi was to install addons , which are hassio specific docker-like containers, which have to be created specifically for HA.

Someone has since taken the hassio environment and make it possible to run the hassio environment on a Linux system.

If you have already installed HA, there doesn’t seem any need to install hassio instead. The link you point to is not a hassio addon, but seems to be some scripts for homie, which is another attempt at creating an MQTT standard. I haven’t seen it mentioned for a while, so I thought it had died away.

Yeah it looked like it was a homie mqtt discovery tool/set of scripts.

I was curious to see how it worked.

I think homie is still going, another user seems to have picked it up. I use it on d1 minis and a variant on python for other raspberry pi based sensors.