Generic x86-64 Install on non-UEFI bios Machine?

I’m currently running Home Assistant OS via VM on Proxmox on a 2011 Dell XPS 8300, which does not have a UEFI bios option.

I’m interested in moving to the Generic x86-64 image to remove Proxmox from the equation since I have no desire to run other VMs on this machine. There are also some weird disk consumption issues I’m persistently running into in Proxmox that I have not yet solved, so I’m hoping that moving to the Generic x86-64 image I’ll remove that complexity and focus just on Home Assistant OS.

The easy solution would be to just get newer hardware, however this box with i7, 8GB RAM, and SSD is solid (other than the bios), so it seems like a waste not to use it if I can.

Any recommendations for this scenario?

I’ve searched all over for the official Dell UEFI bios (A07), but it seems only warranty replacements came with this build as Dell never released it publicly and made A06 the last official bios).

2 Likes

The images are only designed for Raspberry Pi or x86 based VMs. you can install home Assistant Supervised on a plain. generic Debian installation though and have a very similar experience. You need to keep the OS patched though.

2 Likes

EDIT:Opps, Sorry it the wrong bios for your computer.

I believe you missed a small corner of the web to locate the BIOS.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=nc8vm

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, seems like it’s for a different device type…what’s the worst that could happen? :slight_smile:

I ended up picking up a used 7th gen nuc for less than the cost of pi4+ssd. Rock solid and would highly recommend this direction to everyone.