Geocoded Location and Zones work, but no device_tracker

I have an issue with the device_tracker for my iPhone not appearing

The Geocoded Location works, as well as the zone name when viewed in dev tools. But there is no device_tracker associated to my phone, so I cannot associate that to my person, thus breaking all my automations.

This did not happen out of the blue, I got way behind updating and was on the Nov 21 update, where all this worked. I think somewhere between that and the most recent update device_tracker was changed (maybe 2022.2) and now I am stuck :frowning:

I ended up solving this and learning a few crazy things

  1. On your PHONE (for apple) there is a setting that can effect how HA sees your location, either as address or zone name. It is located in HA App > Settings > Companion App Settings > Sensors > Geocoded Location > Use Zone Name. Somehow this got turned off and was very annoying to figure out

  2. I deleted all the entities related to my phone, deleted my phone’s server connection, deleted my HA companion app, rebooted HA and reconnected it all. This got rid of some orphaned sensors I believe were causing the issue.

  3. Trying to go from 2021.11 to 2022.5 probably was part of the issue. I suggest deleting your Companion app and removing all related entities in HA before major updates (or going month by month and reading all patch notes to find breaking changes :slight_smile:

I’ve encountered this after upgrading to 2022.11.1 and (after rolling back) again with 2022.11.2. I keep up with the upgrades. I have attempted all of the troubleshooting steps you suggested to no avail.

Companion app: Sending all sensors. Sending exact location. Location Permission set to Always. Location Accuracy Full. Zero changes to one mobile device’s app settings, and no device_tracker info is updating where it was yesterday. On the other mobile device, I’ve deleted the app, deleted the integration, deleted all entities, restarted HA, rebooted iOS device.

Geocoded location is solid and accurate for both devices. No device_tracker info is updating. I don’t know where to go from here, except to start disabling automations because most of my lights are tied to presence via, which is no longer updating.

EDIT: I eventually found that I had caused this issue by defining my home zone in configuration.yaml with references to my secrets.yaml file instead of hard-coding them.

1 Like