Geocoded location not updating, api manager is unavailable error, blank screen errors/problems

Issue #1 - IOS app sensors not being updated.
I had several integrations for an iphone and ipad and nuked everything yesterday (cleaned integrations, entity registry, storage-mobile_apps, core.restore_state, core.entity_registry, etc), deleted ios app from all devices, restarted ha, etc.(Running ha v0.93.2)

Reinstalled ios app v2.0b60 on iphone only. Integration was added.storage/mobile_app created, sensors created, etc. Was on internal network and have trusted_networks setup as an auth_provided but ewould only find ha through DuckDNS. Logged in with username/pw and connected.

All sensors set up initially but never updated after that. geocoded_location was ā€˜Unknownā€™, ssid was my internal network, lasttrigger_update was ā€˜Initialā€™.

Would do manual refresh and would get ā€œ[homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection.1881832752] Connection closed by clientā€ in log file.

I never had a ā€œdevice_tracker.reallylong-uidā€ added as an entity like I did in the beginning (it was in storage/mobile_app file) and nothing was added to knows_devices.yaml. I donā€™t know if it should have been or if robbie and the guys have put the uid under the covers.

Is no device_tracker.reallylonguid missing a a problem or not?
Why donā€™t the sensors update?
Is the ā€œconnection closed by clientā€ indicating the connection was never set up in the first place or is it an error that it is closed after updating?
If it is an error, how should it be corrected when I was just doing a plain install after cleaning everything up?

Issue #2 - Will never login through Internal network
How can I connect to HA using my internal network when I connect to it and use the external connection (DuckDNS) when away. I have trusted_networks set up as an auth_provider. When logging in via Chrome or Edge using the ā€œhttp://hassio.local:8123ā€ does nothing, using ā€œhttps://hassio.local:8123ā€ says I have a certificate error but will let me log through and https with DuckDNS connects.

The ios app looks like it only checks the ā€œhttp://hassio.local:8123ā€ internal connection and can not be changed.

Can I connect internally when I am using DuckDNS for an external connection?
If not, what am I doing wrong and how should I be connecting externally to provide a secure connection when away and connect internally using a known network?

(Caddy and a reverse proxy (which I know nothing about) has been suggested but Iā€™m not sure where to go.)

Issue #3 - IOS App is dead, API Manager is unavailable
I tried logging out in the ios app to try using the trusted_network login that was displayed (long with legacy and secure). Couldnā€™t login so went with secure. Then started getting a ā€œkclā€¦ā€ error message (which is too long for the iphone screen and gets cut off so you do not know the error code). Now I am getting an ā€œHA API Manager is unavailableā€ error message and a blank screen. Unloading the app and refreshing does the same thing.

Not sure what happened but something totally trashed the ios app.

Going into settings shows my name, zones, ha version, etc. Guess I have to nuke the pp and redownload it from TestFlight.

Did you ever get anywhere with this ?

No, I didnā€™t get anywhere. As I recall, after nuking, I went back to v1.5 and went on to other things -x to get iCloud3 working with the iCloud find-my-friends location services. Itā€™s now working and Iā€™ll move that from beta to general availability the 3rd week of August after I get home.

Frankly, I see major design issues with v2.0 and the way it assigns a sequence number to the device rather than letting the user specify the device name.

1. Nuking and reloading the app issues a new number for the device rather than reusing one already assigned and require you to do a lot of unnecessary set up to get it working again.
  2. One number is assigned to one sensor and another number is assigned to another sensor for the same device.
  3. You can edit the deviceā€™s name by customizing the entity registry. In my opinion, you shouldnā€™t have to do this.
    (If I am wrong about these points, please let me know.)

I have reloaded it and are running v1.5 and v2.0. Iā€™m sure there are some great features in v2.0 and would like to see a list of the differences. As far as I can tell, v1.5 satisfies my needs. So Iā€™ll stick with that for now. It I will also make sure iCloud3 supports v2.0 for those that want to run it.

Just to report Iā€™ve also got this problem. I nuked all my iOS stuff - deleted the app from my phone, deleted the integrations and the .conf file - and now Iā€™m stuck where I can access the app, but Home Assistant and the app arenā€™t happily talking like they were - geocoded locations is always unknown and most importantly and annoyingly, notifications donā€™t work.

I wrote about it here. I wonder how youā€™re supposed to get rid of all those extra sensors from the various beta app iterations without this being the end result.

If you cleaned out HA you need to reset the app and go through the app setup again.

Yep, done that, still no good. Somebody a couple of days ago suggested also wiping the iOS JavaScript file in the .storage folder, Iā€™ll try that too.

1 Like

@gcobb321: Will you explain where this geocoded_location parameter read from?
I have 3 devices ipadpro, iphonese and iphonexr, all running ios 13.5
From those devices, only iphonexr shows correct sensor.iphonexr_geocoded_location
ipadpro shows unknown sensor.ipadpro_geocoded_location
and i cannot see any sensor.iphonese_geocoded_location entity at all
Why same ios, but different behavior?
Iā€™m using icloud3-v2.2-rc11a

@dony1971
iCloud3 does not look at the geocoded location. It gets the gps location for the device from the latitude/longitude returned from iCloud web service and from the device_tracker.devicename_latitude and _longitude attributes. You can see the on the Developer Tools > States for the device_tracker entities.

As far as the sensorā€¦geocodes_location, that comes from the iOS app. Nothing to do with iCloud3.

how to set IOS app for getting geocoded_location?