Get Bluetooth_LE working?

Hello all, I noticed in 7.8 apparently Bluetooth and Bluetooth_LE got overhauls. Great news is here:

Now I’m trying to get it working in my environment… It’s not at the moment.

I’m running the dockerhub container, which at this point shows 7.8.2 dev. I’m running that container on an Intel Nuc, which has built in bluetooth and I also have a bluetooth dongle I think both support ble.

First, I wanted to follow the instructions here:

But I don’t know if I should be running those commands in the container or in the host. I was able to confirm that the container has bluez installed.

theres a “rootless” setup command that requires libcap2-bin. That package exists in my host (Ubuntu) but the following command to libcap against a /srv location only exists in the container I think, which is I guess Alpine Linux? But Alpine doesn’t have such a package.

Not even sure I need to do this because I can run “hcitool lescan” from either the host as sudo or from the container, which I guess docker exec runs as root. And from inside the container, runuser said homeassistant user doesn’t exist, so it seems that’s root also.

Any help?

The log just says “2018-09-21 11:29:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform bluetooth_le_tracker”

Anyone tried the new bluetooth stack?

did you get this sorted? I cannot get LE or normal BT working

2018-10-21 09:13:37 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform bluetooth_le_tracker
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pexpect/spawnbase.py", line 166, in read_nonblocking
    s = os.read(self.child_fd, size)
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

I just tried the bluetooth LE tracker and it says it can’t find any thing even though I’m right next to my pi3+ running hassio 81.5 and hitting scan as I rebooted.

2018-11-04 12:06:56 WARNING (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker.bluetooth_le_tracker] No Bluetooth LE devices to track!
2018-11-04 12:06:56 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform bluetooth_le_tracker

Do we know how to manually add the device to the known_devices.yaml?

Okay so now I’m up to 83.3 and bluetooth LE is working, but…
I have 20 entries of ble_somethingsomething and have no idea what they are for those devices that didn’t present a name.
On the plus side for those interested both the Mi Band 2 and Fitbit Versa show their names and show up.
Running hassio on a raspi 3B+.

So how do I tell what is what with all the devices showing up in known_devices.yaml?

1 Like