Get Data from a IOT Device outside local network

Hi,

what a great community, have to say that after seeing the presentation of the founder of ha.

I wondering about the ways to get data of an IOT device outside of the local network. I am sure there are serveral ways to achieve this. More ideas are appreciated.

1. Mosquitto bridging mode (cloudmqtt)
  2. Wifi repeater (if device isn’t that far away)

In my special case, I’d like to connect to an igrill thermometer which is located outside my house (no wifi there). This could be connected to a bridge: https://github.com/bendikwa/igrill
So the igrill thermo sends data via bluetooth to the bridge which sends the data via wifi using mqtt.

Thanks!

Well, in this particular case I think you’re on the right track. That bridge software just translates the Bluetooth data into MQTT messages, and the interesting part now is to figure out how far that Bluetooth signal from the thermometer travels, because that tells you whereabout you will have to place the hardware that runs the bridge software. And this hardware does not only require network (Wifi or Ethernet) but also power…

BTW, have you seen this:

Yes I already saw this, thanks.

Because it would be outside also power isn’t the only issue. It would also have to be waterproof. A waterproof case will most probably reduce signal strenght.

I do however have another wifi there (not my local network) which I can use. So maybe mqtt bridging would be better, but I think cloud mqtt would cost be something. And I would want it to be free because it isn’t that important. Just nice to have.

There is a free service at mqtt but I don’t know if its enough for my case.