Getting an error setting up an HUS-BZB-1 usb stick for ZWave/Zigbee. Help please :)

Hey folks,

Just purchased an HUS-BZB-1 stick. I plugged it into the raspberry pi (running Home Assistant with Hass.io) and restarted the Home Assistant server. I then added the following to configuration.yaml (per instructions):

zha:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB2
  database_path: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db

and restarted the Home Assistant server. I went to the About screen and saw this error when the restart completed:

Error setting up entry /dev/ttyUSB2 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 244, in open
    self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyUSB2'

I then called zha.permit but it pops up an error saying

Failed to call service zha/permit

I tried removing the usb stick and trying it in the other 3 usb ports and restarted the server each time, but the error was always showed on the About screen. I also tried unplugging and plugging the Pi back in, but same error. I tried removing the reference from the configuration.yaml and restarting the server but still the same error regarding dev/ttyUSB2 was there.

When I click on Configuration there are links for ZHA and ZWave, even if I remove it from the configuration.yaml. The ZHA just call the service permit though, which again fails. ZWave seems like it actually might be working, but I don’t have any ZWave devices to test. My HA is running latest version and is about 1 week old, so very fresh.

What could be wrong? Am I missing a step?

Thanks!!!

I don’t have zigbee, but check the hardware listing (hassio > system > host system > hardware
and verify that /dev/ttyUSB2 is showing up, it could be a different path. Also, I suspect the database_path is different, that looks like a non-hassio example (i.e. not running in docker).
Try database_path: /config/zigbee.db

Thanks so much! Learned a lot just from that comment. Ok, so the hardware shows the following for serial:

• serial:
    • /dev/ttyUSB0
    • /dev/ttyUSB1
    • /dev/ttyAMA0

I tried having a zha of /dev/ttyUSB0 and then tried a zwave /dev/ttyUSB0 with a zha of /dev/ttyUSB1 but got the same error each time. I also tried changing the database path to /config/zigbee.db for all those style configs but same error. Also tried with and without single quotes around the values, but same deal. Any suggestions? Thanks again

Your zwave should be /dev/ttyACM0.

Good to know! The zwave does seem to have been working, it’s just zha/zigbee that isn’t. If I go to services, there are a bunch of service calls available for zwave and also all seem to work in the zwave general button. There are no services listed for zigbee or zha though and the zha permit service call fails. I’ve tried 0, 1, and 2 for /dev/ttyUSB values. None are doing it though. Also tried the db path as just being zigbee.db since some reviews mentioned that, but still same error. Seems odd that the error always said ttyusb2 but serial doesn’t mention that tty number. Any thoughts?

I am using the same USB stick with a Raspberry Pi 3B and Hass.io. I remember having trouble figuring out the usb path, but guessed and eventually got it right. Here is my entry in configuration.yaml

zha:    
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB1
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

zwave:  
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0

Thanks. I tried that exactly, but same error. Wonder if I have a faulty unit or perhaps it has firmware installed with a bug. The fact that it keeps looking for it at usb2 but serial only shows things on 0 and 1 and my configuration doesn’t mention USB 2, makes me almost think that USB 2 is hard-coded into this version of the firmware?

EDIT: actually the error shows in it a file, which I believe is a Home Assistant file:

Error setting up entry /dev/ttyUSB2 for zha
8:33 AM components/zha/__init__.py (ERROR)

Is it a bug in the latest version of Home Assistant maybe? Wish there was a line number. EDIT 2: Looked in that init file in the github repo, but there’s no reference to tty anywhere, so don’t think it’s a hardcode issue there. Think it’s possible it’s a firmware issue?

Alright…I give up :slight_smile: I think the zigbee radio is just defective. I initiated a return and will try a new one. Thanks for the help everyone.

Did a new unit end up working?
I have the same issue and after downloading the driver from SILabs, it shows up as
tty.GoControl_zigbee

and

tty.GoControl_zwave

I’m still getting the “failed to call service zha/permit”

I’m wondering if I need to send mine back as well…

1 Like

I did get it working. There apparently is a bug in recent versions of home assistant. A file that normally shouldn’t need to be updated, needed to be updated. Modify:
/config/.storage/core.config_entries
with your proper usb paths (which you can find out by going to Hass.io->System->hardware) and you should be all set. Found solution in:

Windows 10 pc has a virtual manager installed. Home Assistant is installed on VM. I have connected Nortek GoControl QuickStick Combo Model HUSBZB-1 (Z-Wave & Zigbee Ember 3581 USB Adapter) to the PC.
Followed instructions as given on this link-
Zigbee Home Automation - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)
In HA, from integration selected ZHA. Followed steps as listed under “Configurations”. After selecting the radio type, HA asked for the serial device path. Selected the correct one (/dev/ttyUSB1) & clicked submit. No problem Then asked for radio type. Selected EZSP & clicked submit. No problem. Under settings, the serial device path was already selected. Saw “port speed” which by default is 57600 (I cannot change that). Also saw “Data flow control” as software by default (I can change to hardware if required). Then clicked submit. I receive an error message stating “Failed to connect”.
Tried again using hardware under Data flow control but still got the same error.
Any idea?