Getting frustrated How to get HA to discovery a Raspberry Pi

@KingRichard
sounds good ya my RPI runs Raspbian Desktop plus webserver at 8000 port but also has a Radio program i installed so i have in my basement so then i had added the Relay to run my pump so it did more then 1…

ill try your script as my HA i currently running is a VM on my unraid server but ill try anything once to see how things work… ya guides always good… i did a guide for people with RetroPi and the NesiPi 4 nintendo case but i always busy and killing myself trying to do this stuff HA and trying to do vehicle repairs so i spend all day trying other peoples codes try and then u notice u started 8am but its not 6pm where the time go and u didnt work on repairs… ifi had a clone of me lol

but ya ill try that shortly

@Kdem … a pissing match? Someone started 2021 with the wrong mood. Relax and got get a loose pair of pants. I’m trying to get to the bottom of this as there is conflicting information out there. If you do not want to contribute, so be it. you can go back and hibernate now.

Reminds me of a situation when I replaced speed selectors for my ceiling fans. The guy at Home-Depot mentioned something similar … that some people use light dimmers ($20) and connect them to their fans, instead of the more suitable fan controllers ($60). Those dimmers are apparently noisy, but I do not see wide-spread switch-induced fires in the news. Plus, the Home-Depot Tech mentioned that still, people ignore his advice and buy the cheaper dimmer. I do get you, I really do, but come on, with an attitude like yours, good luck in life.

@comet424 I think you’re asking the right questions, but I have no answer yet. I reckon I do not have much experience running relays with an RPI. I’ve only used the RPI as media server and for some ‘sensing’ projects, GPS, acceleration and other mobile applications … never to control high voltage devices. Yes, it is done all the time, but in this country where everything is ruled by insurance companies and lawyers, we want to do the right thing, reliably, and cause neither a fire nor a flood

Question 1 - Is the hardware (switches/relays) you have adequate/appropriate for the application?
Question 2 - What software configuration/packages would enable you to accomplish what you’re after?

Granted, You nay already have an answer to #1, but I do not know enough to confirm/challenge you have the right hardware. we need more people to pitch in … unless @Kdem has cooled off and can continue this discussion.

@djrb so before Home Assitant
all i ran is Crontab that used a python code i showed above to turn on and off a relay and the relay is the 30 amp relay for 1hp motors for Arduino/Raspberry Pi projects i emailed RobotDyn the manufacture and asked what the FRA RFA whatever it was the resistive stuff so i dont burn down my house from the link the guy provided…
then i added a Flask webserver i guess so i could turn on off the pump manually as i didnt have physical switchs to the pi…

for the HA on the main server… i followed some tutorial… i installed
home assistant checker
file editor
home panel
nodred (having issues using it )
mqqt mositoe broker
plex server
samba share
tatuill
terminal ssh
visual studio code

now i wanted to add a button one the dashboard that toggles or a lighted button so when pump goes on from the crontab the HA would change the button to say Green for On and Red for OFf and say Relay like Pump is ON… but since i cant use switch and binary sensor the same i cant i was told… but i read one tutorial they do that… but then i think was template i dont remember i gone through so many… trying copying and pasting and trying to understand how it all works like a crash course… i tried the Garage Pi as it usualy a switch so HA i guess is running on the PI? but not remotely but had issues installing it on my pi kept getting 404 errors or so at one of the steps so i abondoned it… then i asked if you could have 2 HA so then maybe runs better on the Pi (Pump) and then a main one… so say HA Main one is off 2 weeks… the PI (Pump ) needs to keep runng on scheduled times reason i wrote it in Crontab so i could just change out a time… # ## adding in and out which timer so i didnt need to buy 5 digital timers or have to reprogram a timer from dailiy or couple times a day o to not needing to for a couple months… i may try to add a lever if there is more then 1" of water in my drain run the pump or so but for now what i have works for me what i got

tthen the @KingRichard guy mentioned hes got it working 2 HA but i had to email him as i locked myself out setting up his routine as i dont use public key etc for SSH and it wont let me in i tried fixing it deleting but it wont let me so i trying his thing

so ud have home assistant on PI that would run indepentlyt and other would read and could control the Indepent as like a co pilot…
and i was hoping to find a better way to setup timer schedule then crontab … it works great but i the only one that knows how to ssh into then run sudo crontab -e then rem out which one… so i wanted to setup so like my mother or a sister etc could just choose from a list or what not but i not there yet and not sure if u can truly add schules by like Click Add button from the dash board and save it in a database… something like that

as my timers are like run ever 1 hour for 45 min or run ever 2 hours for 15 another is ever 2 hours for 30 min another is run ever 4 hours 15 min
just varies so i wanted to be able to change it easily if i not around etc

Try this new guide which will help you. I also tested on my RPI running the latest Debian+HA+Supervised so I’m confident this one works. You can read my info on community thread

Sorry… my bad… I install the firewall on my scripts and failed to open port 8123 for HA. Its now fixed and I did make a new scripts for supervised method

ok sounds good ill test it… and what does supervised method mean… i did hear that before somwhere else?
and ill re try again today…
we not all perfect… i wish then we all be in good health and no covid issues…