Getting going after a brownout

Not without an OS to copy it.

1 Like

There is still clonevdi

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=22422

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be busily making a copy of the entire haos vdi (30 mins to go…). Is your hope that i can then mount the copy in my ubunto vm?

it should create a new UUID

1 Like

It produced a cloned haos_ova-9.4.vdi which if I try using it to create a new machine, it fails to boot. It won’t clone ha.vbox which is the file reporting duplicate UUID.
It came up with this message:
The virtual machine failed to boot. That might be caused by a missing operating system or misconfigured boot order. Mounting an operating system install DVD might solve this problem. Selecting an ISO file will attempt to mount it after the dialog is closed.

afbeelding

ha.vbox is your Virtualbox settings, so haos_ova-9.4.vdi is probably your virtual harddisk, and that is the one you need to attach to your ubuntu (not the ha.vbox)

1 Like

Some progress. I’ve attached the cloned vdi file and fdisk lists the “right” file - although its now /dev/sdb8. However the command sudo mkdir mnt/harddisk replies “cannot create directory no such file or directory”.

HOWEVER I see that Ubuntu has a GUI showing hard drives one of which is hassos-data and clicking through the folders I can see loads of files including backups & my config.yaml. Whoopee! Now what do I do to get going?

Copy all the files over to your Ubuntu. So after a re-install of HA OS, you can upload them again.

1 Like

Thanks @francisp! :slight_smile: :+1:

Thanks Francis. I’ve selected a directory called “supervisor”, which seems to contain all the configuration & backups, and tried to copy it to osboxes (which seems to be the name of the ubunto disks). I hate to tell you though that its saying “you do not have permissions to read it”. Odd as it lets me browse to an individual file & view it.

You will need to change the file permissions

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/nautilus-file-properties-permissions.html.ro

Thanks so much. I think I’ve got the files & directories I need copied over to the ubuntu documents folder. including all the backups. If I download a new hassos image, how to I access the backup during install? Aren’t they still hidden away in the ubuntu virtual machine?

Use the Ubuntu browser to upload the latest backup during onboarding.

or create a shared folder to copy them to your Windows machine

afbeelding

I tried that, but ubunto wont let me copy any files there: permission denied, even though its not marked read only.
Can I attach my ubunto virtual disk to HA?

You can, but I don’t think HA OS will know what to do with it.

1 Like

Francis, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your patience and perseverance with an old guy, barely able to cope with such a complex environment. So much has changed since I first learnt BASIC in the early '80s!
It turns out that Guest Additions had not installed, and once I found out how to re-install it, I was able to copy my old backups to a network drive. I’ve started a new VM, attached a new HA image, and it has restored from backup. It seems I have to go back to my last full backup a couple of months ago, but I hope then to be able to restore from a partial taken earlier on the day the system crashed. As the more recent ones aren’t listed I’ll have to find a way of copying them from the network.
Thanks once more, you have saved my sanity.

Just to note: you can show your appreciation for a post by clicking the “heart” in the line with the reply button of a specific post. That shows you liked what one posted and gives a nice feedback to the author and the community (aka if a post is liked a lot, it might be a good post).

But it’s a recommendation, not a responsibilty.

Great you got your installation working! :slight_smile:

1 Like