Getting started - basic hardware

To use Broadlink instead of the gateway
(Without touching it’s software, so that Broadlink’s capabilities provided by vendor would remain)

Yes you can integrate it with HA if you prefer off the shelf products, here the list of gateway available for 433mhz:

1. So by using Broadlink rm pro as a gateway instead of the 433toMQTTto433 gateway, will the same device list still be compatible as described in the early attached thread?:
    https://community.home-assistant.io/t/433tomqttto433-gateway-device-list/7819

2. If a good friend of yours would like to make a basic home automation, what architecture, software, platform and hardware (hubs/gateways…)would you recommend ?
    (:sunglasses:Your friend is from IT area, spent more than a decade programming on various languages, does have a soldering iron but unfortunately doesn’t have a lot of free time for diy struggling, not pricey, his basic needs are listed in my 1st post on this thread…hmmm, do I know this guy :wink: ?)
    …we are talking about 100m2 apartment (no long distances)

Thanks in advance…

1- I don’t know, never tested it and some search on the web doesn’t helped me more

2-I’m dividing the home automation into 3 main components, sensors/actuators, gateway, home automation software.
Following what you prefer you can decide where you put the DIY part, you can buy Off The Shelves sensors, build a DIY gateway and plug it to Home Assistant, or make your sensors, build a mysensors gateway and plug it to OpenHAB or buy OFS sensors, buy OTS gateway and plug it to Home assistant.
All depend where you prefer to pass your time keeping in mind that in all the case setting up the home automation software will take a big part of it.
If you haven’t time we can say that you can go to OTS sensors and Gateway, in this case the xiaomi gateway and sensors, or 433mhz sensors/actuators + (RFXCom) are good ways to go.
If you want to DIY the gateway you have OpenMQTTGateway or RFlink.

1 Like

Home assistant has native mysensors support. Why would one need to use OpenHab for mysensors?

just a combination example not to take as a compatibility constraint

Thanks for all the participants (@1technophile, @keithh666, @martinhjelmare, @Tinkerer, @blakadder, @ghiglie) for all the inputs, it really helped a lot to figure out some things.
I’m sure this thread will also be useful for other newbies as well, so I’ll write how I will get started with home automation - in case someone have some tips for finetuning my way - please advise

I’ll start with a little POC, order a few basic sensors and start learning about HA (HA Documentation) and MQTT while waiting for the delivery (it will take about a month).

• The software (HA+MQTT) will be installed on an unused laptop (windows/Linux - not sure yet).

• The POC scenarios: I’ll automate the lights in a toilet and the entrance door lights (inside the apartment). The lights will also continue working with wall switches.

• Purchases:

• XIAOMI Gateway and it’s sensors (2X temp/humidity + 2X door + 2X motion detectors)

• 2X RF433 wall switches (w/o feedback…I came to an understanding that currently it’s really not needed)

• Broadlink RM-Pro (for controlling RF433 switches and IR controlling my TV / set top box / AC)

After the POC,I guess I’ll go for a @1technophile’s MQTTopenGate solution - a lot of things could be controlled in bidirectional ways. Also, will get RPI running.

1 Like