Getting Started: PI VS Docker / Zwave Hardware?

Not sure which is the best platform for me so here are a few details about my setup:

I have synology nas with docker. Very new to docker but I got it running. Only thing is instructions say to use /config dir but it looks like the configs are in the root dir. It’s working but not sure if this is correct.

I also have a spare 2 series PI and wondering if that would be a better choice. I ask because something I read implied it was easier to setup that going the Docker route.

Also do I need a 3rd party Zwave hub? I have wink but I keep reading about zwave sticks (which I know nothing about)

Thanks for any help…

If you expand the menu on the left and hit the i inside the circle, it will tell you where the config is.

If it’s really in / you need to delete your container and try again. In Docker it will automatically put it in /config unless you’ve messed with it. On your host, it’s going to be wherever you put it.

No. You can use a USB stick.

Have a look at the zwave page on components

Where is the menu you are talking about?

I have a folder on my nas called Docker. I created a subfolder called homeassistant. That is where it put the config files . It did not create a /config directory and that was my concern.

So you still need a hub, but it’s in the form of a stick? I am guessing it needs this to talk with wink?
Sorry for the newbie ?'s…I need to do more reading…

Ok. You need to understand volume mapping in docker.

/config is INSIDE the container. You edit the files directly on the host, in this case the home assistant folder you created

It’s not really a hub but a node that can connect your zwave network to your PC

Are you looking to keep Wink??

Ok so /config doesn’t really exist it just means root folder of docker container?
I have only done one docker to date, I understand vm’s much better. In fact I noticed they have a vmdk file and I did try that but it it locks up on “loading hard disk”. Synology wants ISO’s not vmdk so out of luck there.

If I can get a stick to replace wink, then no I don’t need it.

I did some more reading and it looks like I need the beginners version (Hass.io). Do they have a docker version of that?

I am about to try it on my spare pi and see if it will load…thanks.

No. INSIDE the docker container, it is literally /config. That is the directory INSIDE the container.

A mapped volume is exactly that. You are mapping REAL storage on your host to a mount point INSIDE the container, so that your Docker container can retain data.

hassio IS running in Docker, but you will not be able to run it in your Synology. You can get the same exact effect out of running Home Assistant with Docker containers of your own…Add-ons are nothing more than other docker containers.

OK thanks…well there must be something wrong as the config files are in the root of the container
Docker says the mount point is /config but it is nowhere to be found. I guess one test is to do some configuration and see if it survives a restart.

I am about to try the pi version and see how it compares. thanks

Ok somehow home-assist did survive the restart despite it putting everything in root so that is good.

pi is setting up now…says about 20 minutes to download.

I am going to leave it to finish and try to do some reading in the meantime.

I don’t understand what this means.

What are you using to look at the files?

I don’t understand what this means.

What are you using to look at the files?

I am using a file manager on the nas and it’s under docker/home_assistant
When I say root I mean the root of the container home_assistant

This is NOT the root of the container

The container filesystem does NOT show up in the NAS.

OK.

I am not familiar with Synology GUI, but let me try and explain Docker.

A docker image contains (see? it’s a CONTAINER) everything needed for the application to run.

A mapped volume allows you to STORE PERSISTENT DATA somewhere else, so when you delete your container to do an upgrade (every upgrade consists of DELETING the container and pulling a new IMAGE), your configuration in this case, will be PERSISTENT.

What you keep referring to as ‘the root’ is nothing more than a fileshare on your NAS. INSIDE the docker container (not the MAPPED VOLUME YOU SEE) is a filepath of /config.

On your NAS, you are seeing the mapped storage. Inside the docker container, it sees that same directory as /config

Ok so I kinda understand. …somewhere on the nas is just an iso type image (like a vm) and somewhere inside is the /config folder.

It’s working so it must be good to go. Still waiting on the pi to finish…thanks.

kinda. yeah. that is the basic idea. You can almost consider it like a VM (if you don’t know what a VM REALLY consists of. :stuck_out_tongue: ) It has its own ‘file structure’ within its confines.

One more ? for the night:
Do you know if there is an easy way to control kasa switches? There doesn’t appear to be an add on, but there are some scripts that come with no useful instructions :frowning:

Are you talking about TP-Link switches?

I use some of them in my house.

yep that is kasa.

So here is another explanation.

Add-ons are nothing more than other Docker containers that run OTHER apps. COMPONENTS are what Home Assistant uses. Don’t look for Add-ons for things like switches and sensors.

Well there is some kinda of add on for configuration, but it’s not enough for me

I think I am going to call it quits for the night and try again tomorrow.

Thanks for all you help!

I’m not seeing that? There is nothing needed but to add the component to your config.yaml and it will work, so I don’t know why there would be any kind of add-on. To get a switch configured on my home assistant:

- platform: tplink
  host: 10.20.30.40
  name: Upstairs Light Switch

Not sure why you would need anything more than that.

There is some sort of add in they recommended to edit your config.

The bottom line is it did not work at all and actually made things more confusing (I think I ended up editing it’s own config,not the one it was supposed to show me- what I figured out was the addon was supposed to show up at the same ip but different port # ,but it never worked) so that is where I left it. I need to find some decent docs- the ones for the tplink don’t show you where that file is or how to edit it.