Getting started with Hass.io and Pi Zero W

I realize the Zero is not the best device for running Hass.io, but it’s what I have currently.
I’ve also made this as hard as possible by not having a USB to Ethernet adapter so I can SSH into the Zero.

So…

I have a Zero W, Burned a micro-SD with Hass.IO on it, connected the zero to a monitor and keyboard, and booted it up,
It boots fine, but I cannot figure out how to configure the WiFi on the Zero to log into my local network. I’ve done lots of searching, but I must be missing something.
I can login into the host system on the Pi, using my keyboard and monitor, but what file do I edit to tell the OS what SSID and password to use so it will auto-logon to my WiFi network?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help!

Where do I create the folder /CONFIG/network?
I tried going to the root folder but I get:
mkdir: can’t create directory ‘CONFIG’: Read-only file system

I’d like to create the folder on my micro-SD card if possible.

Just not sure how to do that since the file system seems to be read-only?

To set up the network you have to put it on a USB stick as per directions in the second link. I’ve never seen it done it any other way (for Hass.io). If there is another way maybe someone else will see this and pipe up.

USB stick definitely easiest. You don’t need to keep it in the drive once it has booted up once and been set up.

Gotcha. Appreciate the help!

That did the trick. Luckily I had a USBOTG cable. Without that I’m not sure I would have been able to connect the USB key.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi,
Are you able ti run hassio on pi-zero, if yes, can please shed light on the performance

1. cpu utilization,
  2. is it laggy or any limitations…

Thanks in advance
abhinav