Getting Z-Wave to work on Hassio

Hi,
I’ve searched the forums and could not find anything that worked for me.

Just got the Aeotec Z-Stick 5th gen and I’m trying to connect it to my fairly new Hassio installation at version 0.84.6.
My configuration.yaml:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0

The logs show me that a python script is failing (see error at the end).
I’ve checked that my stick is actually ttyACM0, however running “ls /dev” does not show the tty devices.
“hassio hw info” shows it.
What I’m gathering from the error is that its looking for /zwaveusbstick (the default according to the docs) even though its set to look for /dev/ttyACM0.

Any ideas?

Tue Jan 15 2019 14:26:40 GMT+0100 (CET)

Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py”, line 78, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Can’t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: “Zwave Generic Exception : Can’t find device /zwaveusbstick : [‘NoneType: None\n’]”

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py”, line 249, in async_setup
result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/init.py”, line 283, in async_setup_entry
config_path=config.get(CONF_CONFIG_PATH))
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py”, line 81, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: ‘Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /zwaveusbstick : ['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', ' File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py”, line 78, in init\n raise ZWaveException(u"Can\'t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\n', 'openzwave.object.ZWaveException: “Zwave Generic Exception : Can\'t find device /zwaveusbstick : [\'NoneType: None\\\\n\']”\n']’

Don’t use configuration.yaml for usb_path and network_key. usb_path is in .storage/core.config_entries.

Easiest fix is to go into the Integrations configuration menu, delete the Z-Wave configuration, then re-add it with the proper path. If it exists in your installation, use /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 instead of /dev/ttyACM0 to avoid name changes.

3 Likes

Hi, and thanks.
I’ve deleted the configuration and added it again and it shows up now.
However, I’m not able to add it as /dev/serial/by.id/xxxxx because I dont have the folders you specified over here. “ls /dev/” only outputs

fd init null pts shm stdin tty zero
full mqueue ptmx random stderr stdout urandom

Might be because I’m using Hassio? Any other means of getting the ID of the USB device? I’m already facing problems due to name changes from ttyACM0 to ttyACM1 and back when unplugging and plugging it back in.

Thanks,
Marius

Sorry, I can’t help you with Hassio since I don’t use it. But what Hassio sees and what your ls output shows don’t match up because the output doesn’t contain ttyACM0 or ttyACM1 either.

Then only thing I can suggest is to just try the /dev/serial/by-id path and see if it works. If you’re using a Aeotec it almost certainly would get linked to that path. Since you haven’t gotten far yet, you could delete the integration again, and use the /dev/serial/by-id path and see if it works. If it doesn’t work, maybe there is a way to get Hassio to see that it, but I can’t really answer that.

What are you running hassio on? I’m running the stick under hassio on a raspberry pi 3b.

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0

is the only thing required to work. I added that and rebooted. You have to give it a while (15 mins?) to get configured.

2 Likes