Geyserwise WIFI module integration (Request)

It’s really so annoying that Geyserwise is ripping their customers off for the WIF version. If the CBI astute goes for less than R500 surely the Geyserwise WIF portion can be better priced especially if you’ve already invested in a 2x MAX’s like I had to for my solar.

are you able to share a link to the thread?

There is apparently an API available once you have the WiFi version. Looking to switch to it from a regular Max and want to know how to install the WiFi (and if I can continue using the control panel for the max).

1 Like

Yes, there is an API , when you visit the geyserwise site there is instructions in a popup on how to apply for the API for your unit. They email you the necessary API tokens etc. There is a DEMO link I posted in the first post of this thread if you want to see the online features available with the WIFI module

My Geyserwise Max bombed out and had to replace it anyhow, so I cannot confirm if you can use the existing Max, but give geyserwise a call , they will quickly confirm for you telephonically . 021 592 4903

1 Like

I’ve recently joined this thread with the intention of upgrading my normal Geyserwise Max and implementing a rest interface. I’ve since heard from Geyserwise that a Tuya-based plug and play replacement is due for release in September. Sounds promising.

3 Likes

that’s awesome. I just hope that they price it reasonably. Not like their current wifi model that costs 3k. Such a rip off especially if you already paid nearly 2k for the MAX excluding the installation. Yet competing products WIFI controllers are a 3rd of the price.

1 Like

Anyone work with Tuya already? Skeptical of anything that requires something to phone home. Would prefer simple local api on top of phoning home. I mean the Geyserwise has this issue already though. There does seem to be some local Tuya projects that can eliminate need for phoning home.

1 Like

Louis, I have done the upgrade from Geyserwise TSE to Wifi specifically to track temperature history. It is pretty much a drop-in replacement. I could not use the old TSE display because the new one comes with a 4 pin connector while the TSE one has a 3 pin. The TSE also does not have the PUMP button which the WIFI one has (not sure if the Max has it).
My Wifi one came with its own display so I just took out the whole TSE with display and connected the new one.
The GW online interface is not fantastic, so HA integration will help. I am researching it right now which is how I got to this thread.

Welcome to DM me if you want more info.

Good morning

Geyserwise have brought out a new IoT panel.
It comes with a WBR3 wifi module which cant be flashed so i removed it and replaced with a ESP8266 with my custom firmware. It works as a AP for you to connect to and then you enter your wifi and mqtt creds. You can then setup home assistant buttons to send commands. Works on the fly on your local network.

I reversed engineered and replicated the commands and listening to hex reads for data.

I have also setup automations to alert me of the errors that occur on the geyser system. Home assistant pushes a notification to myself and my wifes phones.

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 08.29.13

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 08.31.02

3 Likes

I wrote a solution for their new panel IoT. works on local network and instant feedback.

I replicated and reversed engineered the Tuya. I wrote new firmware for local.
See solution below.

Hi Jack,
Great work with the new firmware, currently looking at the remote option for GW.
Can you please tell us where you got the IoT panel from? Does it connect to the normal GW TSE or Max?

I got it from GeyserWise. Its a plug and play which is currently linked to the TUYA cloud platform.
My firmware removes that and adds to the local network which is more reliable.

I have the GeyserWise Max. Ive forgotten how many they support…

Excellent work @Jack_Kitley thanks for people like you.

If possible, could you advise the pins used/connected from the new ESP module in place of the WBR3?
From the image you posted it seems TX, RX, GPIO0, Gnd, VCC and ADC.
That part of the photo image it is difficult to see, so if you could assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Riaan

Hi @RiaanHeath

Thanks. There could be some code improvements but it works. I work on tiny fixes when i get time.

I made a botch up on the removal of the WBR3 as i didnt have a proper heat gun so i know which pins are used.

Here is a diagram and marked red where it needs to be attached.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Jack_Kitley
No problem we all botch some removals LOL, sometimes it just cost a lot more once removed with broken tracks etc.
Thanks I will check on my side with new unit connected on Enable, VCC, Gnd, GPIO15 and RX/TX.
I assume you tasmotized the unit with your geyser.bin before install?

I tried but it ended up being custom.
I wrote all the custom code myself. you just upload the .bin file and then you’re done. If you figure out tasmota by using it then great, i couldnt.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Jack_Kitley , appreciated. I assumed it was Tasmota based as the screenshots looks a lot like Tasmota based. I will get an ESP12 or similar and do some reading on how to upload the bin like described by you.
Thanks a lot for the willingness and assistance, appreciated by newbies.

Regards
Riaan

Hi

For anyone interested, I bought a wifi pcb from GeyserWise today for just under R700.

Here is a video they made showing the installation and setup

They also mention which models are compatible

2 Likes

I installed a geyserwise and soon afterwards got to know HA. I would recommend buying just the geyserwise thermostat and reading it with a Sonoff or ESP8266-ESPhome and controlling the power to the geyser with the same device.
The geyserwise software is very “stupid” for something that is supposed to be smart. E.g. if I want to set the temperature to 60deg up until 15:00 and then have it at 50deg afterwards (when the sun is not bright anymore) their controller don’t allow me to do that.