Giex smart water valve

yes, I tried 3 times. No luck.

It seems ‘_TZE284_7ytb3h8u’ is a different footprint. according to this, the next release of Z2M should get rid of the error message. Judging by the release periodicity, this could drop any day…

PS: What’s the difference between GX02, QT06 and QT06_2? I ordered a GX02, but after the update to 1.0.13 (through an extra tuya gateway I bought) it identifies as this ‘_TZE284_7ytb3h8u’ which according to the devbranch of z2m is a QT06_2…

Z2M v.1.39.0-1 just got released:

Fixed device detections:

1 Like

I just updated the firmware of my two, and will see how they go. To prevent overwatering, I always set the duration of the watering period on the device before turning the water on - that way if there was any drop out, or home assistant restarts etc, it would be controlled by the device.

Essentially, whenever the Smart Irrigation calculated a new watering duration, it would be sent to the valve.

alias: Outdoors - Front Garden Duration Set
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.smart_irrigation_front_garden
condition: []
action:
  - service: number.set_value
    target:
      entity_id: number.outdoors_front_gx02_tap_irrigation_target
    data_template:
      value: |
        {% if is_state('sensor.smart_irrigation_front_garden','0' ) -%}
        {%- else -%}
          {{ states('sensor.smart_irrigation_front_garden') | float + 1 }}
        {%- endif %}
mode: single

Yes, I probably should handle unavailable/unknown errors…

working now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent :+1:t3:

Hello, I think it depens on firmware version.
I ordered two GX02 and they came with firmware v.1.0.8 and had Zigbee Manufacturer_TZE200_7ytb3h8u.
It apperars in Z2M as GIEX QT06_2.
After updating one of them to firmware v.1.0.13, it has Zigbee Manufacturer _TZE284_7ytb3h8u and appears as GIEX GX02.

1 Like

I just got my tuya zigbee controller yesterday, and was hoping to update the valve. However, 24h later the controller still says there are no updates available for the valve.

It’s running zigbee module v1.0.8 and MCU module v1.0.15.

Am I missing something?

Newly bought valve ship with the latest firmware.
My upgrade process was like this:

Be sure to use the Smart Life app.

BTW I created a separate thread how to use the GiEX valve with ZHA.

I also bought a GX02. It looks nice and appears to be quite solid. However the Zigbee range was absolutely unusable. I had to position the Zigbee repeater within 50cm of the valve in order to make it work. I thus decided to return it.

Hello, I am Raul, the Cross-Border Department Manager at GIEX, a manufacturer of water valves. I noticed your discussion about energy consumption issues with one of your water valves. In the feedback I’ve received, I rarely encounter this problem, so I suspect it could be a malfunction in a small number of devices, possibly due to a faulty circuit board or a Zigbee module issue.

My email is [email protected]. Please feel free to contact me, and I will send you a replacement unit.

Additionally, I see that you are quite knowledgeable about ZHA. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am about to launch a new product, a 2-zone water valve, and I need assistance adding it to ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT so that other users can use it smoothly.

I’d be happy to send you a sample unit. I understand this is quite a bold request, but I am still learning about Home Assistant myself. While I’ve recently set up my own Home Assistant, I haven’t yet learned how to add a completely new device. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find anyone in my country with the expertise to assist me in this area.

Could you kindly reach out to me if you can help?

Best regards,
Raul

Hello.I am the manufacturer of this water valve. This valve uses a self-holding solenoid valve, which means that if there is a sudden power outage, the valve will maintain its current state and will not open or close automatically. This is the most energy-efficient design for a watering timer.

There is indeed an issue. Due to the limitations of Zigbee communication range, outdoor devices seem to encounter difficulties during use. I have an idea to create a gateway. The GX-02 water valve would be modified to use the RF433 or LoRa protocol, and the signal would be converted to Zigbee through the gateway. Actually, I’m not sure if converting directly to Wi-Fi could work for Home Assistant, or if Zigbee would be more suitable. Our company will start this project this winter. However, I’m not certain whether converting to Wi-Fi through the gateway would be more practical or if converting to Zigbee would align better with users’ habits. If you have more suggestions, could you give me some tips?

Great that you are active here!

Most Home Assistant users use Home Assistant in order to avoid using many different hubs. I think any new product should either be Zigbee with a better range or WiFi without Hub. I am sure there is room for improvement in Zigbee range since other battery-powered Zigbee devices (e.g. Ikea) have much better range. I am not sure about the feasibility of a battery-powered WiFi-device.

If a device works with Zigbee2MQTT, it will work with pretty much all Home Automation systems. I thus think Zigbee2MQTT should come before ZHA.

I am very critical about solenoid valves. It is an absolute horror that I use such a product for watering my garden while on holiday and then it does not stop. It must be fail safe.

Hope you stay in touch with the community :wink:

Thank you very much for your suggestions. The Zigbee communication range is indeed a concern for me. The communication range of Zigbee depends on the manufacturer of the Zigbee module. We are using Tuya Smart’s Zigbee communication module. So far, we have not found a Zigbee module manufacturer that outperforms Tuya Smart. We will continue to explore other options. Thank you again.
After-sales service email: [email protected]

I followed your tutorial to add the GX-02 to ZHA. However, I noticed that in newly produced products, Tuya seems to have updated the chip model to _TZE284_7ytb3h8u instead of _TZE204_7ytb3h8u as mentioned in the tutorial. I tried replacing the code in the file from ‘_TZE204_7ytb3h8u’ to ‘_TZE284_7ytb3h8u’, but it still doesn’t work. Could you guide me on this? Where might the issue be?

@Giex isn’t that name something you can customize? In any case, you probably want to create a new quirk to add the new model to ZHA.

From what I understand, you can follow this process:

1. Change your home assistant configuration to use a local development file for the device you are integrating:
    zha:
      enable_quirks: true
      custom_quirks_path: /path/to/your/folder/with/zha_quirks/

2. Inside that folder, you will probably want a copy of this file: zha-device-handlers/zhaquirks/tuya/ts0601_valve.py at d9c9df9768731e8ad7a3d167cfd8c8e565547c50 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub
  3. In your copy of that file, you can add a new line with your device, or change the existing line. If the new device has a lot of changes though, it may make more sense to create a new device in the code.

I would be happy to help you out with that, but I am not extremely familiar with ZHA, and I wouldn’t be able to spend a lot of time on this topic.

While we are on this topic, ZHA can also update the firmware of zigbee devices, I also have the following section in my config:

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      otau_directory: /some/directory

Placing firmware update files there allow me to update the firmware via zha. This can also be integrated to fetch firmware updates from the Internet automatically.

Hello, thank you so much for your help. I can use it now. I saw that a helpful ZHA user updated the Quirks. I am now trying to enable all of its functions in ZHA.

class GiexValveVar02(CustomDevice):
“”“GiEX valve device, variant 2.”“”

signature = {
    MODELS_INFO: [
        ("_TZE284_7ytb3h8u", "TS0601"),
    ],
    ENDPOINTS: {
        # <SimpleDescriptor endpoint=1 profile=260 device_type=0x0051
        # input_clusters=[0x0000, 0x0004, 0x0005, 0xed00, 0xef00]
        # output_clusters=[0x000a, 0x0019]>
        1: {
            PROFILE_ID: zha.PROFILE_ID,
            DEVICE_TYPE: zha.DeviceType.SMART_PLUG,
            INPUT_CLUSTERS: [
                Basic.cluster_id,
                Groups.cluster_id,
                Scenes.cluster_id,
                0xed00,
                GiexValveManufCluster.cluster_id,
            ],
            OUTPUT_CLUSTERS: [Time.cluster_id, Ota.cluster_id],
        }
    },

Thank you very much for your guidance. I now have a general understanding of some of the differences between Zigbee and WiFi in Home Assistant. Regarding the issue you mentioned about the water not turning off, through our research, we believe it is caused by insufficient capacitor storage or a momentary voltage drop, leading to the failure to close the valve. Our solution is:

1.Increase the capacitor capacity.
2.Extend the capacitor’s storage time (this will cause a slight delay when opening and closing).
3.Add an extra cloud command (when controlling remotely, sending an open/close command will actually cause the valve to execute the open/close action twice, to avoid the command failing to transmit due to signal issues).