Git issue when try to build dev container

When I try to run the dev container for core I get the following error:

Requirement already satisfied: distlib<1,>=0.3.6 in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/sit
e-packages (from virtualenv>=20.0.8->pre-commit) (0.3.6)
Requirement already satisfied: platformdirs<3,>=2.4 in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/
site-packages (from virtualenv>=20.0.8->pre-commit) (2.5.4)
Requirement already satisfied: filelock<4,>=3.4.1 in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/si
te-packages (from virtualenv>=20.0.8->pre-commit) (3.8.0)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packa
ges (from nodeenv>=0.11.1->pre-commit) (58.1.0)
Installing collected packages: colorlog
Successfully installed colorlog-6.7.0
WARNING: You are using pip version 22.0.4; however, version 22.3.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the '/usr/local/bin/python3 -m pip install --u
pgrade pip' command.
An error has occurred: FatalError: git failed. Is it installed, and are you in a
 Git repository directory?
Check the log at /home/vscode/.cache/pre-commit/pre-commit.log
[18684 ms] postCreateCommand failed with exit code 1. Skipping any further user-provided commands.
Done. Press any key to close the terminal.

Here the log from the /home/vscode/.cache/pre-commit/pre-commit.log file

### version information

pre-commit version: 2.20.0

git --version: git version 2.38.1

sys.version:

3.9.15 (main, Oct 26 2022, 03:47:43)

[GCC 10.2.1 20210110]

sys.executable: /usr/local/bin/python

os.name: posix

sys.platform: linux

### error information

An error has occurred: FatalError: git failed. Is it installed, and are you in a Git repository directory?

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/git.py", line 58, in get_root

cmd_output('git', 'rev-parse', '--show-cdup')[1].strip(),

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/util.py", line 152, in cmd_output

returncode, stdout_b, stderr_b = cmd_output_b(*cmd, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/util.py", line 146, in cmd_output_b

raise CalledProcessError(returncode, cmd, retcode, stdout_b, stderr_b)

pre_commit.util.CalledProcessError: command: ('/usr/local/bin/git', 'rev-parse', '--show-cdup')

return code: 128

expected return code: 0

stdout: (none)

stderr:

fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/workspaces/core'

To add an exception for this directory, call:

git config --global --add safe.directory /workspaces/core

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/error_handler.py", line 73, in error_handler

yield

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/main.py", line 343, in main

_adjust_args_and_chdir(args)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/main.py", line 161, in _adjust_args_and_chdir

toplevel = git.get_root()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pre_commit/git.py", line 64, in get_root

raise FatalError(

pre_commit.errors.FatalError: git failed. Is it installed, and are you in a Git repository directory?

Any suggestions how I can solve this? Git is installed within my system

Have you tried running this command in the repository and seeing what it tells you? Itā€™s returning error code 128 but it will probably give you more descriptive output on the command line

I had the same issue.

It would seem that when building the container /workspace/core ends up being owned by root, while the git command is being run by the user vscode. Git doesnā€™t like running commands on repositories owned by another user.

I added the command suggested by git in the error message to the /script/setup file at around line 18:

git config --global --add safe.directory /workspaces/core

I then rebuilt the container and it seemed to complete.

1 Like

I have the same issue which has appeared in a recentish update.

For me, this:

yields:

An unexpected error has occurred: PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
 '.git/hooks/pre-commit'

:frowning:

Unfortunately I have the same issue with the git config command :confused:

Iā€™ve had the same problem and running git config --global --add safe.directory /workspaces/core did not work properly. I added it to the the devcontainer.json postCreateCommand and this seems to work:

"postCreateCommand": "git config --global --add safe.directory ${containerWorkspaceFolder} && script/setup",

I thought there was something wrong with my setup, but since you have the same problem, maybe I should open a PR, if it works for you too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the hint, but unfortunatly that also causes the same permission error for the pre-commit hook :frowning_face:

I hit the same issues. Ended up deleting the local repo folder entirely and still had the issues. Finally got it working after running the following command:

python3 -m pip install -e . --constraint homeassistant/package_constraints.txt

This was something removed from the bootstrap script run by the devcontainer.json a few months ago

See this github issue:

1 Like

This worked great for me too! Anyone knows why this is not part of the dev container already? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks flabbamann! exactly the same on my side and your suggestion did the trick, while directly editting setup script didnā€™t do the magicā€¦ cool!

7 months later and Iā€™ve come across the same problem. Solved it with this: Git issue when try to build dev container - #6 by flabbamann