GivEnergy - Battery/Inverter + home power things

Well, call the call centre and ask to speak to someone in the development team. :wink:
SolarEdge - Iā€™m using this custom component: GitHub - binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus: Home assistant Component for reading data locally from Solaredge inverter through modbus TCP

Hi
Iā€™m currently scoping for my first solar /battery installation and one of my quotes has been a GivEnergy inverter and battery combo. Integration into HA would be a massive selling point for me, so thanks @Bergals et for the amazing work you have done.

Considering the negative vibes iā€™ve read about the GivEnergy portal and the slow data update rate, iā€™m hope that they support initiatives like this!

Thanks all
darren

Thanks Dazzy, but I canā€™t take as much credit as @britkat and some others have put in a lot more effort. I cheered them on and helped test a few componentsā€¦ and since got distracted by other things. :smiley:

I will come back and visit - since I am seeing occasional hiccups in my data collection (energy page shows 3000+kWh consumed or sent. Still gotta figure that out, and figure out how to fix the data for the random days this happens.

Weā€™re currently refactoring GivTCP (local connection) with a view to being in a better place to develop a dedicated HA integration. No promises on timeframes, but a slicker way of getting data in, and eventually control is coming.
Today it takes a docker container, NR flow and some HA config.

3 Likes

Will the GivTCP local connection be retrofittable to an inverter installed a year ago with WiFi?

Yes, as far as I know it should work. Mine has been in for about 9 months and only has the standard wifi dongle.
You can test be seeing if port 8899 is open on the wifi IP address.

I am in the final stages of getting my GivEnergy system installed - battery and inverter in and working but the panels are not yet properly connected >_< nothing to do with GEā€¦

Iā€™d love to be able to integrate this with HA. I have been using HA for ages now but Iā€™m no coding genius so honestly mostly rely on deploying what (you) clever people develop :slight_smile:

I am fluent enough in Docker but know zero about node Red so for now, Iā€™ll watch this thread for developments and focus on understanding how the solar/battery eco-system actually operates irl.

Thanks to all of you and GE (I insisted on their equipment based on the excellent online support when I was asking many stupid questions during scoping) for making this happen - much appreciated!

Mike

Weā€™re a friendly bunch here - unless I get low blood sugar (read: can be bribed with chocolate :wink: ), shout if you struggle with things - but you should come right without using node-red. Iā€™ve got it as an interim step - I think i donā€™t need it anymore - but Iā€™d have to reconfigure some sensors. A project for when Iā€™m done with my current mission!

Iā€™m new to HA, so new that this is my first post in the community. So Iā€™ve got a question or twoā€¦
I have a givenergy inverter and battery. I know my username, password, s/n, and the API key. But Iā€™m not seeing anything from the givenergy.cloud that resembles the plantid, so where do I find that? Where does the API key fit into this or is it even needed?

Iā€™m also very new to nodeRed, as in Iā€™ve it installed, and Iā€™ve just worked out how to import the config you have. Is this the latest?

I just got that info from the GE community. If you have one setup then 1 is the ID.

Sorry for the delay in replying - glad youā€™ve come right! :slight_smile:

Hi All,
Finally ready for wider access. The local connection for GivEnergy invertors can be found here: https://github.com/britkat1980/giv_tcp
You can run this code either natively or via a docker image for those who want that sort of thing!
Docker Hub

Running the docker hub will provide a rest interface and you can then use REST template sensors to get the data into your HA instance. There is a givtcp.yaml file in the GitHub repo that you can use, you just need to change the IP address to the docker instance running GivTCP.

I personally use a Node-Red flow to allow some logic to be applied and facilitate control too, its comparatively complex, but Iā€™m happy to share for reference.

Its been tested on a umber of invertor types and f/w version, but there may be some gremlins lurking somewhere, so any feedback would be great.

1 Like

Sounds promising, Mark. I am interested in the Node-Red implementation

OK, let me tidy it up and Iā€™ll post a link to it here

Hi Mark,
Iā€™m running home assistant OS on a rasp pi 4, how would I go about implementing this to access my givenergy ac inverter and battery.

@godfreym29 ,

1. Download the Docker image here: Docker Hub
  2. Run the docker container on your host network with the ENV variables set as per these instructions: https://github.com/britkat1980/giv_tcp#docker
  3. Copy this file: https://github.com/britkat1980/giv_tcp/blob/48de36c30a80989b3d165b0222c6b24cf2a7a047/givtcp.yaml into a folder named ā€œpackagesā€ inside your config folder
  4. Add the following lines into your configuration.yaml file:
homeassistant:
 packages: !include_dir_named packages
  1. Restart home assistant and the sensors should then be available.

Thanks @britkat for making this available. Not if this is the right place to ask questions but here goes. Iā€™m trying to get the docker image up and running on my QNAP nas. Itā€™s intel based so should be ok from what youā€™ve said. Iā€™ve followed your instructions but the image wonā€™t come up and all I get is the following message in the console ā€œstandard_init_linux.go:228: exec user process caused: exec format errorā€
Any thoughts on what I can try?

Hi Phil, my Synology NAS is also Intel and it runs fine. Some users on raspberry piā€™s have had to run the container with the --privelleged switch. Try that and see if it helps?

Thanks for the response Mark no joy Iā€™m afraid.

Below are my settings in case there is anything obvious:
50% cpu and 4GB ram
Name Value
DEBUG False
DEBUG_FILE_LOCATION
GPG_KEY A035C8C19219BA821ECEA86B64E628F8D684696D
HA_OUTPUT False
HA_TOKEN
HA_URL
INFLUX_BUCKET
INFLUX_ORG
INFLUX_OUTPUT False
INFLUX_TOKEN
INFLUX_URL
INVERTOR_IP
JSON_OUTPUT False
LANG C.UTF-8
MQTT_ADDRESS 127.0.0.1
MQTT_OUTPUT True
MQTT_PASSWORD password
MQTT_PORT 1883
MQTT_TOPIC battery
MQTT_USERNAME mqttusr
NUMBATTERIES 1
PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
PRINT_RAW False
PYTHON_GET_PIP_SHA256
6665659241292b2147b58922b9ffe11dda66b39d52d8a6f3aa310bc1d60ea6f7
PYTHON_GET_PIP_URL https://github.com/pypa/get-pip/raw/a1675ab6c2bd898ed82b1f58c486097f763c74a9/public/get-pip.py
PYTHON_PIP_VERSION 21.2.1
PYTHON_VERSION 3.10.0b4
SELF_RUN True
SELF_RUN_LOOP_TIMER 10

Iā€™ve not run mqtt yet so Iā€™ve just defaulted some values in there. The blanks are because qnap container station wonā€™t let me add the NUMBATTERIES variable while there are still variables that are blank so Iā€™ve deleted the blanks at the point of creating the container.

Network is host mode

have tried both with and without priviledged mode

Same error message on the console and the container doesnā€™t start. Iā€™ve several other docker containers running so I donā€™t think itā€™s my docker capability (container station).

What intel chipset are you using, it might be that the docker container doesnā€™t have the right architectureā€¦ Hopefully it is one I can compile for