GL-S10 v2.1 Packet Loss Issues

I think the official may have put the wrong firmware in the website. see there.

Updated to Firmware: 2022.12.1 (Dec 17 2022, 11:40:17) and now working as expected via ethernet.

I’m on 2022.12.2 still broken.

I’m on 2022.12.8 and it’s still broken…

On ESPHome v2023.2.2, still see packet loss

ping $IP -c 200 -i 0.2
200 packets transmitted, 157 packets received, 21.5% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.765/2.021/8.592/1.420 ms

Any updates on this? I just bought this device, haven’t flash it yet…

I just set up one of these devices this week. I was experiencing ≈20% packet loss with ethernet - I couldn’t perform an OTA update, and the integration for the Bluetooth device I wanted to connect to wouldn’t even initialize successfully.

I switched my S10 to a wifi connection, and now I’m seeing <2% packet loss, OTA works great, and my Bluetooth integration actually functions! I wish the S10 worked well over ethernet, but for now I’m happy with wifi.

It’s worth noting that I only have one Bluetooth integration currently, and it doesn’t update states very often. Perhaps if there were more Bluetooth traffic/connections necessary, there could be a noticeable conflict with wifi.

How did you change to using WiFi?

Thanks for letting us know, so since it s working with Wifi, I tried to flash mine. It s a v2.1 version, so layout is slightly different. When I tried to flash using the webtool I can see red and green led from the USB Rx and Tx flashing, but it s stalled in “Preparing” until I have a Failed message.
Did anyone succeeded to flash a v2.1using webtool? Is there anything we need to change?

I flashed 2.1 using the webtool just today and it worked perfectly. I am, however, experiencing the Ethernet packet loss so I’m going to build my own bin to see if that helps.

Thanks for letting me know, I must do something wrong but can not figure it out. Would you mind posting a picture of the cabling for the flash? Are you using specific drivers?

Like you want to know what type of cables I used? I just followed the guide on blackadder’s website:

I have the same issue with the 2.1 board and have resorted to modifying the YAML to connect to WiFi. I suppose I could use docker to compile an older version of the firmware and update my switch to downgrade the port to 10MFD, but I am not sure that still works. Has anyone done this recently?

You need to use the button near the 3 pins you connect to UART (not the reset button on the side) while plugging the unit in. The picture from jjross is for the older V1.0 and doesn’t have the button shown as it is in a different place on that board.

After that a single green light will be lit and it will be in flash mode. I have an FTDI flasher and had to update the driver before it would work :

1 Like

For hardware version v2.1, there seems to be a solution for packet loss over ethernet. OTA appears to be working well too.

3 Likes

I just switched back to using the ethernet connection with the suggested fix from the linked Github issue. I’m now seeing 0% packet loss and everything is working great, including OTA!

Here’s the ethernet config I’m using now (only clk_mode has changed from the default ethernet config):

ethernet:
  type: IP101
  mdc_pin: GPIO23
  mdio_pin: GPIO18
  clk_mode: GPIO0_IN
  phy_addr: 1
  power_pin: GPIO5
2 Likes

THANK YOU!

I was just trying to figure out whether I was supposed to remove the other options.

Hi all, I updated my ESPHOME server Dashboard today to Version 2023.8.1
Upon restart of the dashboard, it immediately insisted that I’d update my GL-S10 because a new version was available, so I did. But that failed big time with the following error message:

Reading CMake configuration...
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/config/.esphome/platformio/packages/tool-cmake/bin/cmake':
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/platformio/builder/main.py", line 175:
    env.SConscript("$BUILD_SCRIPT")

Do I need an updated gl-s10-bt-proxy-1e66cc.yaml file for this to work?

How did it tell you you needed to upgrade?

It didn’t. I checked myself on GitHub. But I found the error and the upgrade went well.