Glow / Hildebrand Display - Local MQTT Access - Template Help

Thanks, I checked the smart_meter_electricity_import_today and I’ve realised that it is out by a factor of 1000 and therefore only updating every now and again. I added the *1000 to the cost template, but I think a better solution would be to add the *1000 to the import today.

I’m not so good at building templates (only got into HA 2 weeks ago) would you be so kind to help me, please?

Thank you!

Have a look at this post:

I will also add this to the original post for ease of use of other new comers

Thanks, looks like this was exactly what I had done already. By *1000 to the costs it only reports when the import changes. But as the import is only 2 decimals it’s not updating properly.

Looks like I’ll just need to wait until my Smart Meter gets the upgraded firmware… If my British Gas experience has anything to tell, this won’t happen, and in a few weeks I’ll be calling them again to go over the whole thing again! TBC

Yep, that is correct, but at least the cost would be in accordance to the energy unit of measurement that is expected.

It won’t change how often it will update, because a factor of 1000 means you have to use a lot more energy for the small increments. The cost will be correct (with your multiplication by 1000), only that it updates less often at more “round” consumption values.

Hope this explains it better. My bad for not mentioning this from the start. Didn’t mean to give you false hope.

No worries, thanks for the explanation either way. I can at least be at peace with it for now :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,

I’m quite new to Home Assistant, so I may be wrong here,
But when I coped the the template sensor over, everything seemed to work, but the VSCode add-on highlighted the yaml with the error ‘Incorrect type. Expected “array”.’

After some Googling I was able to remove the error by changing the first few lines to be

template:
  - sensor:

instead of

template:
  sensor:

And again everything still worked, but the error is gone.

As I mentioned, I am relatively new to Home Assistant, so am not sure what the yaml formatting should be. Is my change valid?

Oh - also the post text says “You should now have 17 new entities.” but I only have 16. Am I correct that this text has not been updated following the removal of the “Smart Meter Gas: Power” entity in the October 17th update?

You are correct, 1 entity was decomissioned a while ago. Updated my post.

Yes your yaml is correct :slight_smile:

Also, check a few post up from here about a workaround to do with Gas in the energy dashboard. There is currently a bug in HA and the entity does not show up in the list.

Also, check a few post up from here about a workaround to do with Gas in the energy dashboard. There is currently a bug in HA and the entity does not show up in the list.

Cheers, that was going to be my next question :wink: once I’d checked I hadn’t messed up :slight_smile:

Greetings!

I am trying to debug something I’ve been seeing for a while but it has now bugged me too much to leave like that. My cost today on the dashboard for electricity and gas look good but on Sources, energy is good but gas is showing a very different price. For example, for today I have 3.48 for gas which looks good but on sources it says 6.27 which doesn’t really make much sense. I tried checking different things but couldn’t figure out where the source is coming from if not from the cost (today)?
Any help/hint is appreciated.

Thanks.

There are some posts above in this thread of the consumption not resetting at 12am, or resetting, then jumping to last night’s value, then back to zero again. Which as far as the energy dashboard is concercened this is a cost the is incurred. Have a look and you will see info on how to debug and workaround. In short check the consumption, if you see a drop to zero followed by an increase and a drop to zero you will need to adjust the template to disregard the weird value. Let me know what you find.

It is also on my todo list to use a different entity for the cost to avoid that, and i think it will be fine, but before i update the post i want to test it myself and have some findings.

1 Like

The ha bug where gas statistics could not be selected in the energy dashboard has now been fixed and released in the last ha version

1 Like

Thanks , Robert.
I will have a look tomorrow morning but just a quick check and at 1:30 ,gas was already at 4.08 which is Impossible.
I will let you know what I find!

Anyone know what would cause this?

Hey Robert. I am trying to use the following today (cost) from hassio85 to see if the behaviour remains, my understanding is that it should work from 00:01,let’s see, I will let you know.

No luck, still showing odd numbers for gas, unfortunately.
I was.using HACS and stopped using it so I could get the most up to date code you posted on the thread here but it is still the same even using hassio85’s bit.
I am going through the whole thing to see if I can change anything.

Edit: I changed the minutes from 45 to 55, I will wait until tomorrow to see if that changes anything and update here.

@emontes Can you please send me a screenshot of the consumption entity where your cost is getting “doubled”? We can then see what time it happens and see what workaround we can come up with.

PS: if you see a spike after 12Am, can you post the time that it happens?

Sure thing.

On the gas cost (today), looks like it goe backup up at 00:45
I haven’t noticed that before, but I can see on the import cost (today), at 00:00, it resets and then 00:05 it goes right up to the same amount it was at 23:55 the previous day.
Please, let me know if I missed anything you requested and thanks for the help!

@emontes Sorry not having much time at the minute, but this is a post about exactly the same scenario, with what needs doing, both in “words” but also code.

In your case, I would suggest changing the template to something like 10 minutes past, instead of the original 1 minute and the other links 40 minutes. This way it ensures that the first 10 minutes past midnight get discarded and you dont see that spike anymore in your cost. Yes your cost may be a bit less because of 10 mins of real data missing, but it will be £0.01 or in this region.

Let me know how it goes

1 Like

Thanks for the help again, Robert and no need to apologise! Let me give it a go and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey @robertalexa do you know if there’s a ticket raised for the Gas Consumption being broken in HA?