Glow / Hildebrand Display - Local MQTT Access - Template Help

Hmm has anyones IHD randomly turn off and can’t be resurrected until power is cut for a while? Noticed mine disconnected overnight at 4am, found the IHD dead and couldn’t turn it on. I held the power button etc but ended up taking out batteries and unplugging it for a while which then worked upon plugging it back in

Hi James @megakid ,
I’ve not experienced any issues like that.

Jane from Hildebrand in the Glowmarkt forum said:

… the button on the front is not a power button but screen on/off

Hence why you needed to remove power (batteries & psu) to force a reboot of the CAD-IHD.

Nice work James, I already had the old and new config updated so do not need this (yet) but have advised a friend about this who is starting from scratch.

Yes.

I’m getting random reconnections to the HAN as well - sometimes it goes hours OK, other times it is every few minutes. It’s not a reboot - it just seems to drop off of the HAN and rejoin from the MQTT Status messages. It only does this if I enable local MQTT.

And then it locked up completely this morning. I had to remove batteries and power for a minute.

Jane@Hildebrand is getting debug enabled on mine next week to see what is happening.

For the record, I have a Kaifa ESME and I have a nagging memory that it doesn’t like 10 sec updates on the HAN and it had to be throttled back a little previously.

Lets see what next week brings.

There is a reset button at the back BTW

Amazing work getting a HACS/Integration going, weirdly though after adding the HACS integration it doesn’t show up for me at all in integrations and I can’t add it…

EDIT: Not to worry it’s showing up now, just took some time to “appear” just like magic lol

I decided to wipe and use the HACS integrations to make the whole updating etc… that much easier. It all installed fine (15 entities) apart from one part, the “Smart Meter Electricity: Cost (Today)” (and gas) used for cost tracking do not appear in the drop downs in the energy cost tracking selector.
I can see the items exist but for some reason I am unable to get them to appear.
I have wiped out my config, restarted and deleted stats a few times.

Great work @megakid hacs integration worked first time.
I don’t however seem to be able to use any of the sensors for the energy function in HA, have I missed a step ?

They are still making the one without the display.
They have some units but they are heavidly back ordered.
Price will be similar to the current price of the display unit as it was produced some time ago.

1 Like

Hello all - nice to see so many familiar names!

Just a gentle reminder - we don’t recommend that you keep batteries in the Glow Display CAD - including the ability to use them is mandated by the regulator for Prepay customers who need to make an emergency top up - stick with mains power and as I was quoted elsewhere. If you need to do a power cycle for a hard reset or reboot, do it at the wall or by removing the power from the back of the unit. That fit around the backplate of the cable can be a bit tricky so wall switch is optimum approach!

I won’t be lurking here but great to see the community support and if you need us - [email protected] is how to make contact. Please tell us of new integrations that you like for Local MQTT and we’ll share them - and thanks to Robert and James for sharing theirs.

7 Likes

Hi,

This is amazing. Got MQTT up and running really quickly with the instructions above. I did have a slightly odd one over night relating to Gas cost though. At midnight when the day switched over, the cost reset for 1 minute down to the standing charge as the starting point, but then went back up to the previous day’s total cost, before dropping back down 30 mins later:

The impact of this is that the Energy page has then cumulatively added yesterday’s spend with todays actual usage:

Note, today’s current Gas Cost is reading:

Is there something I have done wrong on the setup? Is there something I need to do on changing the timing of a particular activity to prevent it reverting to the previous days cost total after its been reset at midnight?

TIA,

Jon.

Extra info. The “Gas Import (Today)” seems to be showing the same reset at midnight and then jumping back up to the previous days usage.

@JaneatGlow
Welcome to the HA Community Jane.

For all the awesome support that you, Clive & the Hildebrand / Bright tech team have given to countless users it’s great to ‘see’ you here.

2 Likes

So I’m just wondering about something.

The sensor for Gas Import Today is defined as follows:

- name: "Smart Meter Gas: Import (Today)"
      unique_id: "smart_meter_gas_import_day"

The cost sensor calculation is:

- name: "Smart Meter Gas: Cost (Today)"
    unique_id: smart_meter_gas_cost_today
    device_class: monetary
    unit_of_measurement: "GBP"
    state_class: "total_increasing"
    icon: mdi:cash
    state: "{{ (
        states('sensor.smart_meter_gas_import_today') | float 
        * states('sensor.smart_meter_gas_import_unit_rate') | float 
        + states('sensor.smart_meter_gas_import_standing_charge') | float
      ) | round(2) }}"

The first states smart_meter_gas_import_day where the cost utilises sensor.smart_meter_gas_import_today .

Should they both end _day? To be honest, if that is wrong, I’m not entirely sure how its working at all at the moment.

@duffjp Hi, I can understand how that is confusing, but it is not the same thing. the Cost sensor references the entity_id while gas today import has a unique_id - I agree that I should have named it the same. And it still can be done, but for anyone else that already did this it will create a breaking change and it will create a new entity with a new entity ID so it will need a bit of manual cleaning.

Looking at your graph i suspect your smart meter reporting wrong numbers, especially since we are in BST and maybe it still thinks it is not a new day yet. Could you show me the history of Gas Import Today as well as Cost Today for a few days, so we can compare.

Hi again @duffjp , I have seen this happening a couple of times at my end too, randomly in the day the smart meter reports today’s import as 0. I have made some changes to the template at my end, but would like to test them first at my end before making a suggestion.

Basically changed the value_template

value_template: >
      {% if value_json['electricitymeter']['energy']['import']['day'] == 0 %}
        {{ states('sensor.smart_meter_electricity_import_today') }}
      {% else %}
        {{ value_json['electricitymeter']['energy']['import']['day'] }}
      {% endif %}

The only “issue” I can foresee is that at 00:00 when the import does indeed reset, the meter will send a value of 0, which will be correct. But the template will not use it and instead will keep the previous value (yesterday’s). Then the meter will send a new value of 0,01 (as there is consumption in the household), and that is when the new value will work fine. I just want to test what impact will this have on the Energy dashboard before I decide this is a good solution.

PS: I have also updated the unique_id for those 2 entities, but it will cause a breaking change, so please read the instructions in the original post

Actually I have decided to compare using the current time alongside the 0 value. I have updated the code in the original post and provided an explanation of the logic. It is a bit ugly, but I think it might be the safest option.

@megakid you might want to check my updates, see if they make sense, and implement them in the custom component.

1 Like

@robertalexa thanks for looking at this.

I will wait for @megakid to confirm if/when the changes will be migrated to the HACS integration. That way I’ll have an easy way to keep it updated with future changes!

I loaded the yaml into my HA instance last night. 24 hours in, the cost calcs are massively too high whilst the energy totals are correct. Anyone else seeing this? HA estimating costs at £13, when IHD about £3 which is correct, including standing charge.

It almost looks like it’s adding the standing charge on more than once a day. I’ll have to look more closely. Tariff rates are correct in MQTT.

My Energy dashboard is logging two errors which might explain what I’m seeing with the costs…