Go,comma WiFi Smart Switch Integration

I have recently been using these, very inexpensive, go,comma WiFi switches. I get them from GearBest https://www.gearbest.com/smart-home-controls/pp_009841506979.html?wid=1433363

They are particularly friendly to re-flashing. The plastic top is just a snap fit. No heating and un-gluing is involved!

The board uses the ubiquitous ESP8266. As you see from the photo, they have even labelled all the five points you need to solder on to for re-flashing.

I use the marvelous ESPHome ( https://esphome.io/ ) for all of my devices now. So the steps are:

1. Hook up your USB to Serial converter to VDD (3v), GND, TXD and RXD.
  2. Connect GPIO0 to ground
  3. Create a new ESPHome device
  4. Select the compile option and download the binary
  5. I connect the USB to Serial to my laptop, rather than the Home Assistant, so I use ESPHomeflasher to flash the binary to the device
  6. Disconnect GPIO0 from ground and unplug and re-plug the USB to Serial converter and watch the logs.

That’s it done.

Here is my YAML for these devices:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO12
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: "ESP Switch 1 Button"
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: eswitch_1

output:
    pin: 4
    id: 'relay'
    pin:
      number: 13
      inverted: yes
    id: red_led
    pin:
      number: 15
      inverted: yes
    id: blue_led

switch:
  - platform: output
    name: "ESwitch 1"
    id: eswitch_1
    output: 'relay'
    on_turn_on:
      - output.turn_on: blue_led
      - output.turn_off: red_led

on_turn_off:
      - output.turn_off: blue_led
      - output.turn_on: red_led

The led toggles between Blue and Red as the switch is turned ON and OFF.
A press of the Button will toggle the switch.

I find these are particularly effective in the lead of a table lamp. As ever, when dealing with Mains Electricity, if you are inexperienced then get a professional to do the wiring!

If anyone want more details on this process then please drop me a comment and I’ll try to answer any questions.

3 Likes

I can flash and reflash correctly the device but it doesn’t boot up with the new firmware. I’ve followed your instruction disconnecting GPIO0 from GND and unplugging and plugging again the USB but nothing.

After the flashing I can’t see any logs.

If you have flashed it, it will have the new firmware. If it is older firmware, something is broken. You show us no logs, so anything else is guessing.

@Fiserail can you re-flash and then copy and paste the output from esphomeflasher?

Who said anything about esphomeflasher?

Yes, i’ve just fashed it again and this is what esphomeflasher says:

Using ‘COM3’ as serial port.
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP826 %)Writing at 0x00040000… (100 %)Wrote 385088 bytes (263144 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 23.3 seconds (effective 132.4 kbit/s)…
Hash of data verified.

Leaving…
Hard Resetting…
Done! Flashing is complete!

Showing logs:

Item 5 in my original post.

@Fiserail can you post the YAML here - obviously you will have to obfuscate the passwords and wifi details.

Does your esphome section look like this?

esphome:
  name: eswitch_1
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m