GoControl GC-TBZ48 thermostat - no temperature updates unless I restart HA

Seems that others have communications issues with this thermostat by my situation is a bit different - I’m not getting an update in the current temperature unless I restart HA.

It seems like other data makes it back to HA (like current set-point when changed on the unit), but ambient temperature never updates unless I restart HA, then I get the current value.

Ideas?

Are you using the thermostat on battery power or powered off the HVAC wiring.

I experienced similar issues as your describing when on battery power.

I assumed that the thermostat only updated when a major change happened, similar to other battery powered zwave sensors.

Thanks silvrr - the unit is powered from the HVAC. However, then I first installed it I had both batteries and HVAC power hooked up until I realized that was not necessary. Your comment had me thinking, so I looked at the manual again and found this:

“IMPORTANT: If the thermostat is installed on a Z-Wave network, while it is batteries powered, it will
NOT work as a Z-Wave repeater. Do not install batteries and temporarily power the thermostat from 24VAC to include onto a Z-Wave network. Shortened batteries life may occur when 24VAC power is removed.”

I’m interpreting this to mean, if you set up ZWave with 24VAC active, the thermostat is set to a “repeater” mode, i.e.: a high-power mode, which perhaps includes sending constant temperature updates.

Its not a stretch to think that maybe if you start out with only batteries then add 24VAC power, which I did, maybe it stays in lower power mode?

I’m going to try removing from zwave, powering down for a while, powering back up (no batteries), and re-adding the device.

1 Like

I would try a reset like you mentioned.

From what I recall, there is a way to reset to factory defaults and truly clear it out. I think I did this in between battery and AC power.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m hoping for a solution. Did anyone figure this issue out? I’ve got the same problem. Everything works except the air temperature updating. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Also, before I setup Home Assistant I used Vera and it worked flawlessly. I’m fixing to trash this thermostat if I can’t figure it out. Thanks!

Just bumping this thread. did anyone figure it out?