GoControl GC-TBZ48 Z-Wave Thermostat - Can't control setpoints?

I just updated to v0.33.4 this morning, and both setpoints for all three thermostats seem to be working. I’m not sure if it was a bug that they fixed (probably) or some side-effect of something else (not likely), but all is good now!

Hey everyone. Just installed my tbz48. Paired it in ozwcp, HA is seeing it with out any config. HA is showing it as “off” and no current temp. Whats your HA config like? Is that my issue?

Thanks everyone for your help! I tried this last night and it worked perfectly. The only issue I had was I copied the file and the owner was set to root instead of “homeassistant”. I’m using the AIO pi installer. So chown homeassistant:homeassistant TBZ48.xml did the trick. Thanks again!

For anyone else using this thermostat I did figure out some automation code for it today and it’s working great. I’m new to this so I kept it very simple;

- alias: "Set Wakeup Temp weekdays"
trigger:
  - platform: time
    after: '06:00:00'
condition:
  - condition: time
    weekday:
      - mon
      - tue
      - wed
      - thu
      - fri
action:
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    entity_id: climate.linear_tbz48_heating_1_2_1
    data:
      temperature: 70

Thanks.

Hi everyone, I am curious to all you TBZ48 owners, if you’ve had any issues with HA or the thermostat not reporting operating state.

Basically, even when my system is on, the operating state and fan state show as idle.

I’m running on battery power, and it seems setting any polling interval is useless.

I have been fighting trying to get the attributes of this thermostat to update. I finally seemed to find something that worked. The refresh_entity got me the operation state. I do however have the C wire hooked up. Here is my automation config

• alias: Refresh Thermostate
    hide_entity: true
    initial_state: ‘on’
    trigger:
    • platform: time
      seconds: ‘/30’
      action:
    • service: zwave.refresh_entity
      data:
      entity_id: climate.linear_tbz48_thermostat_heating_1_3_1
2 Likes

I ended up doing something similar as well. Still seems weird to me that the Thermostat doesn’t push running status like it does everything else.

How do you get your zwcfg-0xxxxxxx.xml to update?

I am trying to follow the procedure to get my TBZ48 thermostat configured correctly. I’ve got everything right up until: [quote=“Hambo, post:7, topic:5404”]
If this didn’t work and you still see “Linear Unknown type=5442, id=5431” devices, then you may need to trash your current Z-Wave config in your Home Assistant config directory. OpenZWave will cache your devices automatically, so it may not update your thermostat with the values we configured. This file will be called something like “zwcfg-0xxxxxxx.xml”. I renamed mine to something else in case I needed to revert back to it. Next time Home Assistant restarts OpenZWave, it will re-poll all the devices on your ZWave network and update their configurations as necessary.
[/quote]

My old zwcfg*.xml keeps coming back no matter what I do; rename it, delete it, leave it overnight, turn off HASS and rename/delete then restart HASS, HASS off rename/delete then restart the system, remove/re-add the device to the zwave network from the HASS zwave domain… any combination of the above.

Something I have not done is remove/re-add the device without going through HASS, but I don’t know how to do so.

It never pulls a new zwcfg*.xml, in fact it keeps recreating the same one as the original! I keep seeing Linear Unknown type=5442, id=5431 on my dashboard and can’t control my heat.

I have no other zwave devices atm and my config regarding zwave are the bare bones to be functional:

zwave:
  usbpath: /dev/tty_whatever_USB_zwave_stick

climate:
  platform: zwave

If it matters, I’m on a Debian Jessie server with HASS and OpenZwave installed in a python-virtualenv. So my HASS configs are in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ and openzwave configs in /srv/homeassistant/. My zwave usb is one of the officially recommended.

I had the same issue before but it was because I didn’t save the configuration after making changes in openzwave-panel.

I threw in the towel with zwave thermostats. I ended up getting a honeywell wifi thermostat. It was just too complicated to program this so it was family friendly.

First I wanted to say thanks for all the input and work everyone has done. I was wanting a new thermostat and not a wi-fi one. The Gocontrol GC-TBZ48 is quite cheap in comparison and works perfectly after following the setup described here with one exception. I wanted to detail that exception for other users. I am running a raspberry pi setup and I had to add the tbz48.xml and update the manufacturer_specific.xml under the .homeassistant/python-openzwave/openzwave/config directory instead of the one detailed above. Again, thanks for all the work.

I know this is kind of an old topic but It looks like the official config for this thermostat is still not in the open-zwave mainlines. I have not updated open-zwave in a while. Is this configuration still needed? If so does it make send to have it supported in open-zwave officially?

It’s the first search result for “zwave thermostat” on amazon. I’d think it’s got to be a pretty popular item.

1 Like

Just closing the loop on this one. It looks like a proper configuration was added to the OpenZWave repo in June: https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/blob/master/config/linear/GC-TBZ48.xml

This config seems to expose a number of useful configuration parameters for the thermostat, and remove the extraneous interfaces (like “Away/Econ Cooling”). I don’t think this is yet available in the version of openzwave that ships with HomeAssistant, but should be soon. I’m using the development branch (for Secure Barrier support…) and the new config is working beautifully.

1 Like

If we currently have manual edits to the xml files will the future version automatically update these? Just curious

Feel like I’m late to the game here guys… Anyways, just got one of these GC-TBZ48’s working with HA 57.2. Tried following the instructions on this post, but OZWCP isn’t being used in current versions of HA (I could be wrong here, that’s just what I’ve heard, since zwave is now built-into HA). Anyways here’s how I did it, in case anyone needs it in the future.

With HA running…
Remove the thermostat, via the UI, configuration -> zwave -> remove node
On the thermostat, menu -> zwave -> remove (or delete)

Complete stop HA. This depends on how you have it running, but I completely stopped the service, and verified it was stopped, with: ps -ef |grep hass

From the command line: sudo su - [home-assistant user] (“hass” in my case)
cd to your main config directory, wherever that is.
cd to: deps/lib/python3.5/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config/

Follow @DGAzr’s instructions above.
vi manufacturer_specific.xml
under:
<Manufacturer id="014f" name="Linear">
add this line:
<Product type="5442" id="5436" name="TBZ48" config="linear/TBZ48.xml"/>
:wq (save and quit the file)

Create the TBZ48.xml file:
cp remotec/zts-110.xml linear/TBZ48.xml

log out of the home-assistant user account (just type ‘exit’)

Start home-assistant
Once again, I’ve got it running as a service, so yours might be different:
sudo service home-assistant start

Re-add the thermostat, via the zwave UI in HA:
configuration -> zwave -> add node

On the thermostat:
menu -> zwave -> install (I think)
Should say “done” when it’s added.

Go back to “Overview” in the UI, hopefully find your “climate” card, and 4 entries
Here’s my main heating item:
“Linear TBZ48 Heating 1”

But you should have 3 others, Linear TBZ48 Cooling 1, Linear TBZ48 Cooling Econ, Linear TBZ48 Heating Econ.

Take off your jacket, and select “Linear TBZ48 Heating 1”, and adjust that temp!

Side note: Your type=“5442” id=“5436” might vary, a bit, but this was mine as of 11/11/17.
Anyways, hope this helps someone! Cheers

Does anyone know how to find the same configuration files in Hass.io?
I do not have the same directory structures; I cannot find */python_openzwave/ozw_config/*.

core-ssh:/config# pwd
/config
core-ssh:/config# ls
OZW_Log.txt           custom_components     groups.yaml           options.xml           scripts.yaml          zwcfg_0xf6d8e866.xml
automations.yaml      customize.yaml        home-assistant.log    pyozw.sqlite          secrets.yaml          zwscene.xml
configuration.yaml    deps                  home-assistant_v2.db  scenes.yaml           tts
core-ssh:/config# ls deps/lib/python3.6/site-packages/*
deps/lib/python3.6/site-packages/nanoleaf:
__init__.py  __pycache__  aurora.py    setup.py

deps/lib/python3.6/site-packages/nanoleaf-0.4.0.dist-info:
DESCRIPTION.rst  INSTALLER        METADATA         RECORD           WHEEL            metadata.json    top_level.txt

I second this. Anybody have success getting one of these to work with hass.io?

Any update on this? I’m looking to move to hass.io (currently stuck back on a Python 3.4 AIO), but I use the GC-TBZ48 thermostats and want to ensure I can get them working again in hass.io

Also using Hass.io and would like to be able to do this.Can anyone help?