Good BLE beacon for kids

Thought I would quickly share for anyone that is looking for BLE beacon that kids would wear consistently, the UNICEF Kid PowerBand works great. They are rechargeable and since it’s a gamification of a pedometer the kids (at least mine) are religious about keeping them charged at night to beat their siblings the next day. My kids have had them for about a year now and they hold up well.
I’m using them tied in to room-assistant to turn on and off lights for the kids.

2 Likes

How long does it last on one charge again?

According to the Unicef website, about a week.

1 Like

Yeah, they last about a week, sometimes more as the synchronization (of step counts to the app) process is manually triggered and if the kids refrain from syncing constantly it can go longer.

1 Like

This will be something to keep in mind for when my kids get a little older. For now I’m happy if they keep their pants on.

Can you please share the room-assistant config. I am trying to make it work but it shows nothing. Its just get stuck.

Sure, below is what I have. However what you are seeing is normal for the startup of room-assistant, it won’t output anything to the console UNLESS you have set the enabled value for console to true.

I use the whitelist in my config as there is a surprising amount of BLE devices my RPi can pick up.

{
  "app": {
    "unsafe": false
  },
  "mqtt": {
    "enabled": true,
    "url": "mqtt://192.168.10.118",
    "username": "XXXXX",
    "password": "XXXXX",
    "reject_unauthorized": true,
    "topic": "tuckers-room"
  },
  "console": {
    "enabled": false
  },
  "ble": {
    "enabled": true,
    "channel": "room_presence",
    "max_distance": 15,
    "whitelist": ["f8e8875d2474", "f74ca33698ea", "0cf3ee00b99e", "0cf3ee00b974"],
    "use_mac": false,
    "system_noise": 0.01,
    "measurement_noise": 3,
    "update_frequency": 0
  },
  "ibeacon": {
    "enabled": false,
    "channel": "room_presence",
    "max_distance": 0,
    "whitelist": [],
    "system_noise": 0.01,
    "measurement_noise": 3
  },
  "temper": {
    "channel": "temper",
    "interval": 60000,
    "scale": 1,
    "offset": 0
  },
  "gpio": {
    "only_send_updates": true,
    "ports": [],
    "qos": 0,
    "retain": false
  },
  "shell": {
    "commands": [],
    "qos": 0,
    "retain": false
  }
}

Resurrecting and old thread. Do these things function as a full fledged BLE beacon with UUID, Major, Minor, etc? Can’t find anything mentioning their use as one.

I’m looking for the same for my kids too. since it has been so long, i’m wondering what other alternative is there now?