Google assistant 2.1

Hi, I’ve just updated to the latest version and I’m unable to get it to work. The add-on will start and I can access the authorisation URL but once that is complete get no response from “ok google” and after about a minute the add-on will stop running. There’s nothing in the log of use, only showing this

[Info] Install/Update service client_secrets file
[Info] Run Hass.io GAssisant SDK

Anyone know the issue?

Same issue here…

Hi folks, I finally figured it out! After a week of screaming at my hassio and trying everything on Google dev consoles, Igot a bit of a clue. From what I can tell, the authentication process now requires you to define a “device” with its intended intents, capabilities etc. I supposed this is aligning with the the Google Assistant Actions and DialogFlow processes (or rather, making it one uniform process) and so on…

I shared a bit of how I got mine working here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/google-assistant-sdk-add-on-is-not-working/53269

Hope it helps & good luck

1 Like

Thank you. The thing is… i had already read that and still… havent figured out whats wrong… i might start everything from scratch or something

[quote="…i might start everything from scratch or something"
[/quote]

I had that exact same thought a couple of days ago, then finally got it sorted out… So that should put you as a mere hours away from getting our favorite soulless voice speaking to you again! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: LOL

Well on the bright side we get to learn a little bit more about how authentication/credentials work across Google’s cloud platform. Might potentially come in handy for troubleshooting a whole myriad of issues in the future considering how we use Google credentials to sign in/up for more and more apps/services/accounts/platforms etc :rofl:

when registering the device I have to choose a type. examples are light, fan, phone, etc but no “assistant” . If I choose “auto” I then have to choose what it can do and the choices are on/off brightness.
what am I meant to choose?

The short (and short term) answer to your question: “it doesn’t matter”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s because ultimately all of our “devices” will/should reside in YET ANOTHER Google service, HomeGraph which is a database that stores ALL our device definitions in one convenient spot. If we try to visualize this, we realize how it looks strangely similar to (drumroll)… parts of our configuration.yaml!

See, we’re looking at GAssistant as merely a voice frontend to our HASS. The Brains at Google are looking beyond this and envision:

devices + Actions + DialogFlows + HomeGraph + GAssistant = a complete home assistant
… like Home Assistant only with a charming disembodied voice!

Coming back to your question, it doesnt matter for now because we’re not ACTUALLY designing a completely new device to be published-- we’re just building a dummy so HASS and GAssistant will play nice and Google’s APIs require us to register a “device” to do so. Our dummy “whatever” exposes HASS to GAssistant and if our other devices (lights, thermostats, blenders, doors, robotic girl/boyfriends etc) are already HomeGraph-friendly, we’re cool since they will all sync at the HomeGraph level and GAssistant already ‘sees’ and knows what to do with them. However for the long term it’d be cool to figure out a quick simple way to get all our entities into HomeGraph…

The reason why Google doesn’t provide an “assistant” schema is because they wanna be THE assistant!

If HASS can be made aware of (or better yet, do bidirectional syncs with} HomeGraph we’d really be “cooking with gas!”, to use an archaic antiquated turn of phrase.

Hope the above makes sense. I think this vid might help with the big picture… Good luck!

Finally figured out the solution :slight_smile:
Just Copy what you have in the GA Config and Uninstall it.
Re-intall, paste back the info to config and hit SAVE
Now Click on OPEN web UI
(In my case i had to open port 9324 for it to open)
Follow the linking instructions…
And it should be working again :wink:

When i reinstalled i noticed int the log was now saying Oauth2 instead of Oauth.

Awesome! Saved yourself some work too… Good to know in case I ever need to reinstall. Fixing up a new key isnt that big a deal, but 10 minutes saved is stiil 10 minutes gained!