Google Assistant integration : error/lag with report_state

Hello,

I have no idea how to explain this weird behavior of the Google Home app. It looks like a bug with report_state, being too fast or too slow and making the app reporting laggy value of the device states.

When I turn on a light, it show: ON (yeah!), OFF (oh…), ON (yeah!)
When I turn off a light, it shows: OFF, ON, OFF.

Here is a video where I toggle on/off each device (and the group of devices), one after each other:

Setup:

• HASSIO 9.0, latest updates installed
  • Installed on a Synology VM
  • Host network (the VM has its own IP)
  • Accessible from outside with Synology DDNS + Let’s encrypt certificate + Reverse proxy
  • No Nabu Casa

It’s working in the end, but it’s bothering me :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyone experienced similar issue?

2 Likes

It’s not that unusual in my experience.
You are using google to send a command to HA this will by nature have a slight delay (normally Google’s fault) as the command needs to be sent then actioned, then the new state needs to be seen by google hence the chop and change.

I believe (but stand to be corrected) that if you don’t use nabu casa then this is all cloud based and not run locally.

I use nabu casa purely for google and don’t tend to see these delays anymore. However I only expose things to google so that they can be voice activated as that’s pretty much all google is useful for (google is not and never will be any good at smart home - it’s a voice assistant). I use the home assistant app to toggle things on and off because it’s instant and error free.

Thanks for your answer :slightly_smiling_face:

I followed the full guide three times (including yesterday, to check if there were new steps, corrections, etc.): Google Assistant - Home Assistant

I have local fulfillment enable and I checked the log: local fulfillment is working.

I’d like to continue using the Google Home app for people in my family that are not used to HA, its dashboard, etc. Google Home is easy for them.

I have a similar issue with Google home. In my case turning on the light reports on then off. (But the light stays on) the when trying to switch it if I press the button end nothing happens (the light stays on but state is now reported as on) the when impress again the light turns off but then reports the wrong state again. (This is Google home app on iPhone)

For reference I also tried Google home app on an android one phone and guess what… there it works perfectly fine.

So I also stopped and just use voice assistant. :smiley:

Thanks for the reply. This is not what I wanted but at least I can see I’m not alone in this boat.

I’ll need to run some other tests, but the delay seems to cause issue when 2 actions are asked to Google Home to fast one after another, which happens when my SO ask something, and I ask something to correct it super-fast after.

Any updates on this? I’m seeing this behavior too— when I turn on a light through Google Home, the status briefly flips to On before flipping back to off (although the light itself shows off).

This occurs both with manually-configured Google Home support as well as through Nabu Casa. I’m glad I’m not the only one with the problem, but it is disappointing that there might not be a fix.

No improvment here :frowning:

I have the same problem here, did you find a solution?

remove ‘’‘platform: google_translate’’’ from your configuration.yaml

I’m still experiencing the issue :frowning:

Tried that and still have the issue.

Hello! I’ve managed to patch the issue described by OP by using an automation that manually triggers a Google sync request when an assistant query is fired. I’ve tried using the same method to fix the delay in the Google Home app but I haven’t been able to get that working (something with delays maybe?)
The feedback on my Google home hub now reflects the actual state of the lights I control with it at least, so that’s a start.

alias: Request Google Home sync when a Google Home request is made
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: google_assistant_query
    event_type: google_assistant_command
action:
  - service: google_assistant.request_sync
    data:
      agent_user_id: [YOUR_ACCOUNT_ID]
mode: single

It’s probably not the most efficient way of handling this but since I have a dedicated machine running various docker containers for my smart needs I’m not worried about that too much.

Update:
I managed to get the home app working too!
I did it by getting rid of the report_state: true in the google_assistant integration in the config.yml and adding a delay of 700ms between the event above firing and requesting the sync. I’m not sure if the delay matters because i messed around with that before removing the report_state from the integration but it works now so i’m not touching it!

1 Like

I am facing the same problem,

how do you add the delay?

please help, thanks.

@admire123 This is my automation config, as you can see i’m just using a ‘delay’ action.

alias: Request Google Home sync when a Google Home request is made
description: ""
trigger:
    event_type: google_assistant_query
    event_type: google_assistant_command
action:
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 700
    enabled: false
  - service: google_assistant.request_sync
    data:
      agent_user_id: [YOUR_ACCOUNT_ID]
mode: restart

however mine ended up working just fine without the delay, so it might not be necessary

This behaviour is still happening to me, using the Google Home app on iOS.

Even more frustrating, sometimes it does not pick up the state change at all and requires me to click on the light again in the GHome app (or exit the app) to update the state. (IE turning a light off, the button will go on->off->on and stay on until I press the button again). @Pixel-Null 's solution with the manual assistant sync automation did not work for me. The lights themself are responsive to commands via google home but it seems to be just a problem with updating the reported state.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Just throwing my hat into the ring… same issues. If i refresh the google home app it will pull the correct status. I assuming its a sync issue and the automation is going down the right track. I’ll give it a whirl

The automation definitely helps. The status flips back and fourth but it ends with the correct status within a second. Seems like its a little faster with the delay enabled.