Google Assistant Keeps losing connection with Home Assistant

Hello there.

Im using Home assistant for a long time now.
I have setup Google Assistant manually using a test app like described.
Sadly a month or 2 ago the google assistant gets problems communicating.
Then it works then it doesnt and states.
Sorry cannot reach the assistant try again later.
weird enough this happens a lot now preventing the use of almost the entire home at that moment for my blind GF

Do anyone have the same issue or had it before that solved it.
i walked through everything 20 times and it works for some days then out of the blue it doesnt for hours then it works again out of the blue so ye…
The commands send using the assistant never reach the homeassistant when it states it cannot reach the assistant.

So it seems my test app on the google dev platform keeps going down or unresponsive or something?

For the extra info:
i set it up myself i do not use the subscription from HA (cannot afford it)

I use DuckDNS for the DNS management.
The ports the system uses are forwarded to and from the HA.
the configuration files are as the tutorial describes,
It works but also doesnt a lot of times.
During these times HA is still active and reachable.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have the same problem since day one of my google assistant integration. Sometimes it just says “Ich kann meine testapp im moment nicht erreichen” which probably translates to the answer you get. Until a few days ago, it was just annoying and happend from time to time. Since 1d it got much worse - completely unusable now.
Don’t know why, haven’t changed anything.

I guess it’s a temporary problem of duckdns’ side. Ping is very slow also… :unamused:

so its duckDNS
Even when i can reach it?

I have the exact same issue using DuckDNS and the Google test app. It only started a month or two ago just like you said, so it’s likely the same root cause.

Mine was working fine until yesterday, out of nowhere it stopped working today. I redid the entire setup process and it worked again for a few minutes and it was gone again.

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, I’m having the same problem today. And while I’m using DuckDNS, I don’t believe that is the problem at all. My hostname is resolving the correct IP address without issue, as confirmed BY Google’s DNS servers. I honestly believe this to be a google issue today.

Definitely having DuckDNS issues today as well. Intermittently losing connection for like 20 min or so, several times today already.

I’m having similar issues, it sporadically connects which it was working solid and has been solid up to about a day ago. The only thing I did since it was working was an update to HA 2022.9.1.

If I try clicking the Synchronize Devices button on Diagnostic in the Google Assistant integration tab, I get the following error in the log:

2022-10-01 18:27:32.165 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.google_assistant.http] Request for https://homegraph.googleapis.com/v1/devices:requestSync failed: 400
2022-10-01 18:27:32.166 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [140389688475024] Unable to sync devices with result code: 400, check log for more info.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 200, in handle_call_service
await hass.services.async_call(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1738, in async_call
task.result()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1775, in _execute_service
await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 204, in handle_service
await service.entity_service_call(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 676, in entity_service_call
future.result() # pop exception if have
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 931, in async_request_call
await coro
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 713, in _handle_entity_call
await result
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/button/__init__.py", line 114, in _async_press_action
await self.async_press()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/google_assistant/button.py", line 51, in async_press
raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Unable to sync devices with result code: 400, check log for more info.

Same problem here. I agree with you. The problem is not duckdns. I can externally access to my Home Assistant successfully.

I am also having the same issue and use DuckDNS. I am able to access everything through the DuckDNS domains as well.

Same problem here. but use HA update too
… idk

Same setup with duckdns and Nginx and have had the unable to reach home assistant issue a lot over the last few months. Today it went completely dead and won’t reach it at all. When i try reconnecting google home to home assistant it says could not reach (test) home assistant. Please try again. Odd thing is i know its reaching home assistant because when i put in a wrong password or user name it tells me that its wrong and it also shows up in the home assistant as a notification of bad login attempt. So i am confused. I don’t want to completely unlink it or re do the setup again as i will lose all my custom stuff in google home.

1 Like

Its funny you mention this because I was also able to quickly get it to turn on a light through the Google Home app when I first opened it before it could figure out there was an issue. Once it tried to refresh, all the devices went offline and I couldn’t use it any more.

Same setup as @pendlet and same issues. When I ask GoogleHome to “sync all devices” Tuya Integration works fine but Home Assistant won’t sync and I get the “…please try again later”.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue as well. DuckDNS does seem kinda slow, but I can still access my HA through my duck DNS domain. I can also get to the login screen of HA when I try to re-link the integration in Google home, so surely google can connect to duck DNS as well? I can also still use HA to control my devices. I’m starting to think google has just quietly changed something without telling anyone. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve rendered one of my devices useless for ages :roll_eyes:

Ok, I just went to Google Cloud and enabled “Test” and then asked to sync devices in the textfield at the top of the page. It doesn’t work but there is an error log. See below:

jsonPayload: {
@type: "type.googleapis.com/google.identity.accountlinking.type.AccountLinkingError"
errorReason: "Failed to get response from 3P. 3P returned malformed response like invalid response code or un-inflatble body."
request: {3}
sessionId: #########
step: "REFRESH_ACCESS_TOKEN

I don’t know if this helps but I’m going to investigate a bit later.

And now it works again?
I checked my router settings and an update had turned on mDNS. No idea if this is related or not but I turned it off and it appears to be working.

@iNick Where did you get the error log? I tried to do the same just to see what i got but i all i see is a debug option.

What router are using? i have a ubiquiti unifi dream machine and it did an update last night. I am going to go through the settings in it to see what i find.