Google assistant not working for one garage door

I have 2 garage door openers. One I built using WEMOS Mini.
The other garage door opener is the GoControl Zwave Opener.

Both are exposed to google home and show as having the Open/Close ability within HA.

My issue is if I ask google assistant to close the garage door that is using wemos it performs the action. If I attempt the same with the GoControl opener it states it is opening or closing but the door never operates.

The GoControl works fine just doesn’t respond to google assistant. Not sure if I can change anything in HA or if google assistant isn’t understanding this opener through HA.

Hi Jason,

When you say that GoControl is working fine, does that mean it’s integrated into HA & can you conrol it from HA. And it this device connecting to the cloud directly for the integration into Google Home or are you using Nabu Casa cloud for the Google integration?

Cheers
Nick

Correct, GoControl integrated into HA and works fine. My installation leverages Nabu Casa. The only difference I see is that the GoControl within HA has the option to disable 2 factor auth. I tried that to test but with no success.

Hi Jason,

Is it a manual MQTT entity or does it have its own community integration? Im curious if both these devices are defined in the ‘cover’ domain. How does the config compare to your own home-grown device. Can you share code how the GoControl device is integrated into HA compared to the wemo device?

Nick

Thats what has me confused, both are cover devices. The custom WEMOS board leverages the cover integration via ESPHome. The GoControl device leverages the cover integration directly via ZWave.

See how both support OpenClose

Are you able to control the GoControl door manually via the Google Home app? If that does work then i wonder if the similarity of the device names is an issue for the voice control. Perhaps changing the name of the device in Google Home might be something to try.

I presume that you have other zwave devices exposed to Google Assistant via nabucase that do work. Is this the only device giving you troubles?

So far this is the only one giving me trouble.

And no, I cannot control these devices using google home manually as they just show as exposed in the google home app but do not show as a switch or similar.

One thing I noticed today but not sure what is causing it.
The custom code I have written for ESPHome leverages the cover class but that device shows that it is a set of blinds within Google Home. The other garage controller shows as a garage door in Google Home. Not sure what is causing the difference.

I think it has something to do with the naming as Google Home is funny with naming because they try to group items when you say things like turn off the lights it looks for all items with light in the name for that room.

I renamed the Carriage Garage Door to Small Blinds and it worked with no issue so I’m going to have to think about how to name the two.

So, great outcome right, but very weird all the same.

1 Like