Google assistant room not working in Google Home app

Today I decided to add Google Assistant integration, all but one things seems to work fine. I am under the impression that the room attribute of for example a light will put the device automatically in a room that can be found in the Google Home app but I cant seem to get it working. Here my config:

entity_config:
    light.livingroom:
      name: leefkamer
      room: Leefkamer
      aliases:
        - salon

As you can see I specified Leefkamer as a room. When the room wasn’t created automatically I created it manually but that didn’t help. Here are some screenshots:

It shows my ‘Leefkamer’ (which is a group of lights created by Deconz zigbee integration) under the list of ‘Linked to you. 24 devices not I a home’. Am I doing something wrong? Why isn’t the entity getting added to my Leefkamer room. Note that I asked google to sync me devices and that it succesfuly did so. I also refreshed in the Google Home app by swiping down.

Update: I have the same issue when using nabu casa

That config works for me (i dont use aliases). Did you resync your devices after the changes?

I did by saying hey Google sync my devices. But does this also refreshes things on my Google home app? Update: removed the alias and it still wasn’t assigned to a room automatically

I found the issue: I have 2 homes configured in my Google Home app and this caused it to NOT work, I removed the other home, resynced and it added my device to the correct room.

4 Likes

Is it possible to address the device to a specific home rather than setting only its room?

Unfortunately I have 2 Homes but I can’t delete any of them becouse I’m using them

2 Likes

Same problem here and I don’t want to delete my other home, any idea to resolve that?

1 Like

I was struggling with the problem that rooms in my config were ignored by Google Home, too.

Now I see what the reason is! I am also using two homes. Probably there should be a way to tell Google about the home and the room of any device.

anyone been able to figure out a workarount without deleting the second home from Google Home?

Ah! Your my hero, have been struggling with understanding why my rooms where not respected anymore. Thanks! I had to remove myself from the 2nd home.

so what is the solution for people with more than 1 home? creating a second google account?

1 Like

Creating a second account was the solution for me, here’s what worked for me:

1. Create new Google account, and add that account to your Google Home.
  2. From the new Google account: link Home Assistant and sync your devices.
  3. Repeat steps for any additional homes you want to add.