Google Assistant SDK broadcast issues

Hello,
I have an HA yellow with a Nabu Cassa account. I successfully set up the Google Assistant SDK integration in November and it has been working fine since, but it’s not anymore.

All my automations that used to properly broadcast to my GH devices no longer broadcast. In the Dev console, the below just returns a green check mark with no error, and no pertinent log entry (as far as I can see)

service: notify.google_assistant_sdk
data:
  title: test

Per the HA documentation, I can confirm that “My Google Activity” sees the that the broadcast command was received, but it returned an error, “Sorry, I don’t understand.” This error was not broadcast, only visible in the My Activity entry.

The HA documentation on Google Assistant SDK indicates:

If you see the issued commands in My Google Activity, the integration is working fine. If the commands don’t have the expected outcome, don’t open an issue in the Home Assistant Core project or the underlying library. You should instead report the issue directly to Google here

However, the Github repo linked for submitting that report has been archived and set to read-only since Oct 2023. Where can I best direct this report?

I am getting the same issue since yesterday. I am wondering if the problem is on Google’s side as if I replace “command: broadcast 'Back door is closed” with “command: turn off office lights” that works

- service: google_assistant_sdk.send_text_command
    data:
      command: broadcast 'Back door is closed'

Hi @Zerc
I tried your command in the Dev tools. It ran without error, but did not result in a broadcast.

I also see no command received in Google My Activity.

I now see that this command was received in Google My Activity, but still no broadcast and the same response:

Agree that this points to an issue with Google. Hoping to find the proper place to report this as the HA docs direct users to not file a report with HA core support if Google My Activity indicates a received command.

The only relevant HA core log entries that correspond with my broadcast attempts:

Logger: pychromecast.socket_client
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:655
First occurred: 11:00:46 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:00:46 AM

[Work time(192.168.1.100):32104] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:616
First occurred: 11:00:46 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:00:46 AM

[Work time(192.168.1.100):32104] Error reading from socket.

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py:664
First occurred: 11:00:43 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:00:43 AM

[Work time(192.168.1.166):32104] Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection

I have music streaming from an HA Radio Browser source to my GH devices as I type this and my Internet is up, though it has been wonky in the last 48hrs with an brief outage on two days ago.

I’m seeing the exact same thing here, noticed it last night when a bedtime automation failed to broadcast it’s expected message. I can see the activity in my Google Activity, but the response was/is always “Sorry, I don’t understand”

Thanks for chiming in, @tracymckibben
hopefully this is just something that will be corrected on Google’s backend soon. I still don’t know how best to officially file a report on this as the place indicated in the HA docs for Google Assistant SDK does not seem to be active anymore.

I’m also seeing this since 2 April. As others have said, Google does see the notification request but doesn’t recognise it. I’m wondering if it’s anything to do with the 20+ features they said they were going to kill earlier on in the year.

It fails to work even if you use the prompt directly in Google Assistant on a phone. It seems that it doesn’t understand the command in a single statement any more. Doing it in two stages does still work:

“Hey Google” >
“Broadcast to living room this is a test” >

< “Sorry I don’t understand”

“Hey Google” >
“Broadcast to living room” >

< “OK, what’s the message”

“This is a test” >

< “Broadcasting to living room…”

If the official Home Assistant documentation for this integration suggests reporting issues with the Google Assistant SDK, particularly those that were acknowledged but behaved unexpectedly, to a specific GitHub repository, and if that repository is now archived and locked, preventing further reports, should this situation be raised as a concern directly with the Home Assistant core team?

The problem is not just with the HA integration. I’m having trouble issuing broadcasts even from the Google Assistant app on my phone and another integration that works with the API. So, I think this is a global Google Assistant problem.

Sometime in the last hour a broadcast worked for me, next one didn’t. Now it’s working again. Hopefully, either it’s fixed or they are busy resolving the issue.

Thanks, @Zerc.
I can also confirm broadcast functionality with the GA SDK integration has returned-- for now. A dev console test just worked as usual.

So far, broadcast via the Google Assistant SDK integration has been solid with my automations and the Dev Tools. I understand others may be having general issues with GH devices or their phones, but since this is most obviously a Google back end issue, I’ll mark this as solved.