Google Assistant SDK : notify doesn't work

I set this up this evening and can confirm the NOTIFY.GOOGLE_ASSISTANT_SDK service is not currently working.

Seems to be working again now. No changes made.

I have the Google Assistant set up, and I was wondering how I might be able to send a message in Spanish?
The Main language in house is English, but I might want to send a message in Spanish sometimes.

Seem to be having the same issue as everyone else.

Got the integration setup, everything looks ok, trying to run a command, its a little slow, but the green tick comes up but nothing.
Nothing in the logs either.

How can I diagnose?

Is it possible to broadcast to a specific room if u are using it in dutch?
If i broadcast in dutch it always plays in al rooms and if i only change the message text to an english one it broadcast to the specified room.

I just setup the SDK integration yesterday. I have same problem. notify function isnt working. Its slow… then eventually green tick. but no announcements over my google home speakers.

1 Like

Do you have IPv6 enabled in your router? If yes, you need to disable it for broadcast to work.

2 Likes

broadcast does not work for me maybe because i can’t turn off ipv6 on my modem. When i use ‘Google Assistant SDK: Send text command’: “broadcast this”, then my google home says “all right broadcasting” and then nothing… So it seems to me it should be possible to get it to work properly. Any ideas?

Did you get anywhere with this? Mine was working fine untill yesterday now i have exactly what you describe. I deleted it and restored it and same issue.

Yes I did.
Need to make the project active I believe, so out of test.

Did that, waited a little while for the change to propogate and restarted and it worked.

Is there any way to specify the notify.google_assistant_sdk volume?

I’ve said this, but certainly isn’t working anymore

Suddenly it works, probably because of IPv6 deactivation.

But how can I limit the announcements to one room?

Regardless of whether the message is German or English, it is always played on all rooms.

service: notify.google_assistant_sdk
data:
  target: Wohnzimmer

I’m having the same issue. Did you find a solution to this? Defining a Target doesn’t make a difference. It always broadcasts to all speakers

Resurrecting the dead. notify.google_assistant_sdk to broadcast a message across all of my speakers was working fine for me until a month or two ago:

service: notify.google_assistant_sdk
data:

I can however use the google_assistant_sdk.send_text_command service to get responses back from Google Assistant to specific speakers in the house…

service: google_assistant_sdk.send_text_command
data:
  command: repeat after me, this is a test
  media_player: media_player.rubin

But notify.google_assistant_sdk doesn’t trigger anything with the speakers anymore (it worked 2 months ago). I do see activity in the graphs on the API dashboard for when I sent in the broadcast requests, so I feel like this just may be an issue with Google and not HA, but I could be wrong. And no, my network doesn’t run on IPv6 (as far as I can tell). I don’t have a test environment setup to roll back to a version of HA in January, so I can’t debug this anymore.

If you do want a “broadcast” message, as I gave an example above you can just use the “repeat after me” prompt with google_assistant_sdk.send_text_command to get Google Assistant to provide a voice over on a specific speaker or speaker group. Or as it’s been pointed out tts.speak is another option:

service: tts.speak
target:
  entity_id: tts.home_assistant_cloud
data:
  cache: true
  media_player_entity_id: media_player.sunroom_mini

I just had notifications through assistant sdk stop working last night and I can’t figure out why, I changed nothing, seems odd.

When you use the media_player param in the service, HA just plays back the mp3 returned from Google Assistant to that device. This means any music on that speaker will stop and won’t auto resume which defeats the purpose of the broadcast/notify service. At that point you might as well use tts.speak. FWIW, the broadcast/notify service still works for me.

Well it really comes down to your needs/applications. Most of the rooms in my apartment have something like a Chromecast Audio or other speaker device with Chromecast integrated, alongside a Google Home Mini or something similar. So using TTS at this point works if I’m pointing them to the minis.

Edit: @tronikos I now understand what you mean. Yes you’re right when you ask for a response back from Google Assistant, HA casts the audio back to the speakers, kind of defeats the purpose of all this since broadcasting doesn’t kill other stuff casting. At that point using TTS makes sense.

It stopped working for me too. It doesn’t work when talking to Google assistant directly either. Workaround:

service: google_assistant_sdk.send_text_command
data:
  command:
    - broadcast
    - time to go to school
1 Like

Thank you for this workaround. Works great for me