Google Assistant stopped working

Hello, I recently updated my HA to the latest build 2022.6. In doing so I jumped a few releases. i.e. I think I was last on 2022.3
Im running it on a Raspberry Pi4.

Since the update Google Assistant stopped working. The devices in there (various lights etc) still show but are showing unavailable.
I cannot quite figure out why.
I suspect something in the latest release broke it but not sure. I tried removing my home assistant project from google and re-adding it but when I go to re-add it I get ‘Something Went Wrong’.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

For what its worth I can still access HA via the url on a local machine and can still control smart home devices with Apple Home.

Yeah, I’ve been having constant problems with the Google Home integration now as well. I am using the Nabu Casa proxy and I’m wondering if it’s that or not. It’s frustrating as I typically use Google Home as a more simplified experience on my phone.

I use google home for the voice automation and to integrate with my google mini i.e. it has messages set to warn me if someone is outside.

@diefenbaker so Home Assistant connecting to Google Assistant isn’t what I thought you were talking about. Though when HA isn’t accessible from Google Home that means I can’t use my Google Home Mini to ask make requests for devices that only exist in Home Assistant.

I think we do use google home in the same way. I used it to turn things on/off. Its a lot faster than the HA app. I only brought up the mini as I also use the mini. I dont use Nabu Casa so possibly not related to that.

1 Like

In the last two weeks my setup is telling me that Home Assistant is unavailable occasionally. However, it usually works right after the first failed attempt. Are you getting a similar problem or is yours different?

My Google Home integration (not using nebu casa) stopped working as of 2022.6. It will not sync devices or respond to any commands. I guess I will have to try to redo the setup from scratch and see if that fixes it.

Has anybody tried these steps and solved with these, on 2022.6?
Can no longer link Google Assistant - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I’ve tried that, but I still cannot reach [test] Home Assistant in Google Home, even though I logged in etc. (see also my topic: Could not reach Home Assistant during linking with Google Assistant).

Can you try again? Here I fixed. I reverted to 2022.2 in the night and this morning it worked, but it also worked on a 2021.12 instance that did stop syncing as well. So I suspect it was a coincidence and all the issue was caused by Google.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. I was about to eat my hat yesterday until I thought to just wait some time.

I didn’t revert back or anything, just did nothing. This morning it still was broken, but now I tried again and it finally worked again! Now need to get the courage again to retry on local fulfillment :wink:

I just solved this after weeks of problems. I live in Sweden but just tried with VPN and US server and then it worked on first try :slight_smile:

Same Issue for me. Google Assistant integration (free - not nabu-casa) stop working and synching.
I check many posts. I read-did entirely the step by step configuration. Nothing worked. I saw this post reply from backstromcarljohan, living in sweden. mentioned he connected via vpn to the USA, and it worked again.

so I connected my phone to the US via VPN, opened Google Home App, added my “[test] Hassio” and voila it worked, it synched again.
issue maybe DNS or country related.

just to clarify. all of my Google Project stay the same.
I only had to VPN connect my phone to the US (one time only)
then in Google Home App select my [Test] Hassio
input my HomeAssistant User/Password
Then it synched.

After this synch / refresh, google home app works fine without vpn.
But for any further device sync / add devices. VPN to US is needed

I also have this experience with free Google homer connection. in my case I noticed when I say “open window” it lost connection, and restore when i open Google home on phone. For example, my previously smart home on “openhub” platform works perfectly with Google home and free!! Now i came here to test HA and for now is terrible in Google home support. Is there planing some fix for free Google home experience?

here my device setup that break connection

cover.blind_motor:
name: “Blinds”
room: “Living Room”
expose: true
cover.window_motor:
name: “Windows”
room: “Living Room”
expose: true
cover:

• platform: template
    covers:
    blind_motor:
    device_class: blind
    friendly_name: “blinds”
    open_cover:
    service: script.open_blinds
    close_cover:
    service: script.close_blinds
    stop_cover:
    service: script.stop_blinds
    window_motor:
    device_class: window
    friendly_name: “windows”
    open_cover:
    service: script.open_windows
    close_cover:
    service: script.close_windows
    stop_cover:
    service: script.stop_windows

I had the same experience, but now it’s being reported as a known issue with HA 2023.10 apparently.

1 Like