Can no longer link Google Assistant

I tried with latest version from Google Play, and with versions 2.45.1.8 and 2.35.1.6 but didn’t work.

Thanks for checking. Just in case, I’ll test with even older versions tonight as I am pretty sure I set it up in early 2020.

Many people with this problem have unlinked and attempted to re-link a home, but you are setting up the integration for the first time, never removed a [test] app?

Here’s another instance of this problem: Problem linking HA to Google Home - Entraide Home Assistant - Home Assistant Communauté Francophone (hacf.fr) (oops, I just realized that the poster was mat44150)

Never mind, I just tested with another Google account and tried to link the project in Google Home for the first time and got the same error:

Could not reach [test] Home Assistant. Please try again.

I’m still working on trying to get some useful logs or an error code or something. So far, I would guess that @ramalp is correct. The Google Home app seems to crash before any calls are actually attempted.

SOLVED!!!

Apparently Google has added a little splash screen to the flow that happens before it calls https://[YOUR _DOMIAN]/auth/authorize. In order for this info screen to work correctly, you now must complete the “Enter information required for the Actions directory” portion of the Actions setup overview. This requires you to provide:

• A description of your app
  • A logo image for your app
  • Your name and email
  • A link to a privacy policy

For the description I wrote:
Short: “Connect Google Assistant to a private Home Assistant server”
Long: “This Action is intended for personal use. It exposes smart home devices controlled by a local Home Assistant server to Google Assistant and by extension the Google Home mobile app.”

For the logo, my house had one already, so I used that. Otherwise, just upload the HA logo.

For the privacy policy, create a Google Doc that can be viewed by anyone with the link that says:

" This application is intended for the private use of its developer. Any unauthorized users which connect to this service should have no expectation of privacy or protection of their data."

After I had all that entered, I could link GA to HA without issue. I need to go to an appointment now, but sometime this evening or tomorrow I’ll submit and issue ticket to update the manual configuration instructions.

20 Likes

thank you. That did the trick

I tried it and now it works!! Thank you so much!

This issue was doing my head in so thank you very much.
Has this been raised as a bug so the documentation can be updated?

1 Like

Thank you so much for this trick! I confirm it worked for me as well

That solved the issue for me as well.
We need to change the instructions to accommodate for the new situation - currently it’s not listed.

Thank you.

Fantastic, how did you find this answer?
Also, how do we go about getting the docs updated? Is this part of the home assistant core repo?

Clone and update the section or modify via github:

I tried linking to a different service and noticed that this extra page now gets displayed which contains data asked for in the Actions Directory part of the set up. So, I filled in that information and it worked.

Hi,

Thanks! I also ran into this problem.
I discovered that only adding the small logo in the Google project Directory information did the job already.

Thank you so much! You solved my puzzle and helped me to control my lights again

Speaking of updating, I see that already 3 people from here are creating PR’s separately with similar changes. Perhaps it would be more convenient to join forces and work together on 1 PR.

I prefer to see those changes in this one: Update google_assistant.markdown by new-kirte · Pull Request #22349 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub

So if you have also created a PR, see if you can add something to this pull request.

Thnx,

./Klaas

This is great - but screenshots would have been very helpful. As I am not seeing a way to ‘add’ these items to my existing Google Project (Actions Console) - did you create over from scratch?

In the Google Actions Console, open your project and go to Deploy > Directory information. Fill out those fields.

2 Likes

Has anyone run into this more recently? I have the same exact issue and added all the directory information, but after going through integration setup docs, re-reading this thread over a dozen times, and validating external connectivity, I’m still hitting the same error.

I noticed that the account shows linked in Test Simulator Setting after the attempt despite the error (I can Unlink and another attempt will re-link).