Google Calendar Search for Event in new Integration?

Hi

With the news that Google Calendar Yaml is been depreciated in 2022.9. I cant see a way to do the search feature which is in the yaml code eg for the next event with “Birthday” in the Title or “Rugby Training”

I can create events in Integration/HA but the whole point of the search is that it automatically tells you the next event.

If anyone can help on how to do this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

Is this in release note somewhere, can you post a link as I have a lot of google calendars and this is worrying me now :grimacing:

The Documentation still states

The integration supports additional configuration from a file google_calendars.yaml which is available for existing users before version 2022.06 . This file is no longer automatically populated.

Yeah, its part of the new release yesterday on 2022.8

This is how I do my current searches in my calendar for next events.

Cant see how to do in the Integration and I assume its not possible as you need specific calendars like what the search would normally do for you.

Or have I just misread this and its just the actual logon credentials ?

Should have followed my instincts before replying.

Looks like its just the actual information in configuration.yaml and not the google_calendard.yaml

I just hashed out the following and rebooted and the new issue notification has now gone :slight_smile:

#google:

client_id: !secret calendar_id

client_secret: !secret calendar_secret

1 Like

Yes, only config yaml is deprecated.

You can search without the Google calendars yaml, but you need to use automations. See the calendar integration eocs for examples of automations. A binary sensors template is the current simplest way.

See the calendar integration eocs for examples of automations.

I see no examples of automations that work as they do in google_calendars.yaml, in particular:

• How to create a trigger that fires in the same way as events in a calendar with a search string.
  • How to read the offset value from a calendar item and use that to offset the trigger.

Are these still possible and/or is there any expectation that google_calendars.yaml itself will be deprecated in the future?

See Calendar - Home Assistant

• The example Example: Calendar Event Light Schedule shows how to match text.
  • You can set offset in automations as shown in the example Calendar - Home Assistant – but no, you can’t read the offset value from the calendar item. The issue is that reading the offset value from the calendar item is buggy and error prone and it kind of works in some cases, but has too many caveats.

I am actively trying to get rid of google_calendars.yaml by finding other ways to support nearly all the same features. (e.g. Calendar event helper · Discussion #776 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub)

2 Likes

Thankyou @allenporter, you’re doing great work!

1 Like