Google Cast not working on specific Google Home Speaker

Hi Everyone,

I have a number of different Google Home/Cast speakers throughout the house. The Google Cast function for only the original cylindrical Google Home seems to have stopped working. I have tried the following:

1. Completely removing the Google Cast integration and re-adding all of the Cast devices.
  2. Factory resetting the device in question.
  3. Verify that the internal and external URL is accessible.
  4. Try different services on Home Assistant from playing a song to using Google TTS.

The device will beep as if it’s about to play something, but nothing comes out. HA states that it is buffering. Again, other Google Cast devices work without a problem.

Here are the logs:

Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/cast/media_player.py:717
First occurred: 10:59:15 PM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:05:04 PM

Error executing service: <ServiceCall media_player.play_media (c:01G4RWTHEAGC2JR5TBEVVNSNQY): entity_id=['media_player.living_room_speaker'], extra=, media_type=audio/mpeg, media_id=media-source://media_source/local/backdooropen.mp3>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall media_player.play_media (c:01G4RWV8MF67MEGXF039KKPJT0): entity_id=['media_player.living_room_speaker'], extra=, media_type=audio/mpeg, media_id=media-source://media_source/local/backdooropen.mp3>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall media_player.play_media (c:01G4RWXF9K80JVQ49060RQZMSR): entity_id=['media_player.living_room_speaker'], extra=, media_type=audio/mpeg, media_id=media-source://media_source/local/backdooropen.mp3>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall media_player.play_media (c:01G4RX568VXSYMWBRN3015F35D): entity_id=['media_player.living_room_speaker'], extra=, media_type=audio/mpeg, media_id=media-source://media_source/local/backdooropen.mp3>

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1722, in catch_exceptions
await coro_or_task
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1741, in _execute_service
await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py”, line 204, in handle_service
await service.entity_service_call(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 680, in entity_service_call
future.result() # pop exception if have
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 964, in async_request_call
await coro
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 717, in _handle_entity_call
await result
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cast/media_player.py”, line 717, in async_play_media
await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pychromecast/quick_play.py”, line 77, in quick_play
controller.quick_play(**data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pychromecast/controllers/media.py”, line 544, in quick_play
raise PyChromecastError()
pychromecast.error.PyChromecastError

1 Like

I still have the same problem. Did you ever get it sorted out?

1 Like

I too suffer from this. Any updates?

I had a similar issue with being unable to communicate with Google Home Speaker. I found the error was that I had firewall rules in place that did not allow the speaker to connect to the home assistant server using port 8123. I had firewall rules to allow server to communicate to any device regardless of port. Still, without that second rule allowing the device to initiate a connection to the server itself I was stuck in infinite buffering and media failed to play error. This is weird because without that rule I could turn the speaker off/on and change the volume just not play media. Hope this helps (: